Need advice wtb nissan frontier?

I need a newer truck... 

Currently driving an old 99 Chevy with 288,000 on the odometer and the inspection is done inJune, and I dont want to get it reinspected.... 

I'm mostly wondering if any years are better than others?

I've read to get something 2012 and up..

So I have been looking at 2012 to 2015 models... they are about the price I want to spend... ( I have my 521 that I daily drive alot, so I'm not looking to have something brand new sit around)

Does anyone own a nissan frontier?

What year?

How do you like it?

Are they reliable?

Any comments are appreciated....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have one, but have a buddy who is on his 2nd. Great little trucks. If I remember he was up near 200k on his first one before he got hit. I looked pretty seriously at them before I bought my second Tacoma cause the price is much more competitive on the Frontier. Ultimately I liked the ride, styling and seating position of the Tacoma so I went with that, but the Frontier was a close second. 

2 door or 4 door?  The 4 door cabs they come in a short bed (5ft?) and "long" bed (6ft). Ive got the 6 foot in my Tacoma, its really handy for actually using your truck a truck. Something to consider. Downfall of the 6 foot bed and 4 doors is its a long truck... need 4+ lanes to make u-turn.

Cant tell you about what year is the best..

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Don't have one, but have a buddy who is on his 2nd. Great little trucks. If I remember he was up near 200k on his first one before he got hit. I looked pretty seriously at them before I bought my second Tacoma cause the price is much more competitive on the Frontier. Ultimately I liked the ride, styling and seating position of the Tacoma so I went with that, but the Frontier was a close second. 

2 door or 4 door?  The 4 door cabs they come in a short bed (5ft?) and "long" bed (6ft). Ive got the 6 foot in my Tacoma, its really handy for actually using your truck a truck. Something to consider. Downfall of the 6 foot bed and 4 doors is its a long truck... need 4+ lanes to make u-turn.

Cant tell you about what year is the best..

I've been looking at the Tacoma too but I like the styling better on the frontier for the year I can afford... (cash no financing)

I wanted something smaller but still with 4 seats .... I thought about a simple 2 door jeep wrangler but the wife thinks I'll miss the bigger truck... honestly price wise I thought the jeep would be cheaper but it really isn't so the truck does make more sense.... 

I'm just trying to get as new as I can without buying a problem year....

• Like 1

I do not own one.  Beware nissan automatic transmissions tho.  If you can, hold out for a manual.  I only buy newer nissans that come with a drive and arbitration from auctions.  Its really a shame but it is what it is.  I find this to be the case with normal nissan autos and with the cvt ones (not the case here). 

Just test drive the crap outta what ever you look at.  

My buddy has a 12 2wd crew cab that he delivered pies in for 5 years.  It held up well other than the power steering being leakier than a honda..

My 2 cents.

GL

Taco's and Jeeps bring crazy cash as well.  It still shocks me when a 12 yo truck with 300k brings stupid money.

• Like 2

I'd love to get a manual gearbox instead of one of these new fancy type transmissions.... the only problem is I would have to teach my wife how to drive standard, which could lead to her trying to drive my datun.... so she will need to drive something if we ever have a problem with her car... I guess I can ask her if she wants to learn....

I’m on my second. Had an 05’ from new. It had the 6 speed. Didn’t get any chain wine like others have said. Mine you I change my oil religiously. Not sure if that helped it or not, but seemed to work for me. I got rid of that truck in 2017 with 3XX,XXX kilometres on it. It was lifted, and used for off-roading a bunch of times. Had zero major issues. Clutch, brakes, alternator....

in 2017 I traded that in for a 15’ automatic with low kilometres. So far so good knock on wood. This one is stock except for a K&N drop-in filter. Both have been great trucks. Very good in the snow. Gas mileage could be better, but it’s a truck and it doesn’t really bother me. As far as I know the new 2020’s have a new engine, but I’m not sure if they get better gas mileage. 
RQ5jPX7.jpg

X4vrHLA.jpg

• Like 2

I have a 2014Frontier. 4.0, 4x4 Crew Cab, Short bed, auto trans. This truck has a little over 50K and has been reliable. The only thing that has been a problem is the idler pulley for the engine drive belt. Nissan's RWD transmissions are usually reliable, it is the Front wheel drive CVT that can be problematic. The truck is good in the snow (when we actually get it). I have used ti to trailer a Datsun to Williams AZ for the past 3-4 years (yes, getting too old to be in a Datto for too long), about 800 miles round trip. With the trailer and car I am towing between 2100 to 2500 lbs and the truck does it with no issues.

If I were to do it again, I would get the long bed. Even though it wouldn't fit in my garage and has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier (short bed radius sucks compared to an Xterra), I imagine a better ride would result from the longer wheel base and of course, more crap can fit in the bed.

My $ .02

• Like 2

I remember when they hit the showrooms...I really liked them and wanted one. I was so happy to see a new body style, I was never a fan of the Hardbody body style. However, that was then: Now I love the Hardbody body style! I’m actively looking for a KC Hardbody or a first year KC Frontier: I love them both! Good luck with your search!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Looks like they have another 4 door 4x4 frontier there too. Its a few grand more, but has half the milage. Might be worth it. The Pro 4x package is cool, but not really needed 

I'm already going over my budget amount that I have squirled away....

I have been saving for a while because I dont want a payment.... 

The reason I like the pro-x edition are the heated leather seats and the tow package..... not too worried about mileage.... work is closer now and I drive my datsun for 6 to 8 months out of the year.... 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'm already going over my budget amount that I have squirled away....

I have been saving for a while because I dont want a payment.... 

The reason I like the pro-x edition are the heated leather seats and the tow package..... not too worried about mileage.... work is closer now and I drive my datsun for 6 to 8 months out of the year.... 

Tow package is good

• Like 1
4 hours ago, demo243 said:

Did you drive home a new truck?

Maybe.....

No I actually didnt get to drive it home today,  but I did put a deposit on it... I needed to make a money transfer from where I had the money saved.... plan is to pick it up next friday..... 

Cab was a little smaller than my Silverado ( which I expected) but once I adjusted the seat and stuff it was all good..  they did a multi point inspection  and a full service on it ... also has 4 new tires and all new brakes.... and it had a sun roof.... 

Very happy with everything.... minor blemish on the front bumper cover but that's it.... looks like someone couldn't figure out when to stop while pulling in the garage..  

All In all i think it was a fair price i paid, and they can do all the transfer dmv stuff at the dealer so that will all be done when I pick it up.....

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Maybe.....

No I actually didnt get to drive it home today,  but I did put a deposit on it... I needed to make a money transfer from where I had the money saved.... plan is to pick it up next friday..... 

Cab was a little smaller than my Silverado ( which I expected) but once I adjusted the seat and stuff it was all good..  they did a multi point inspection  and a full service on it ... also has 4 new tires and all new brakes.... and it had a sun roof.... 

Very happy with everything.... minor blemish on the front bumper cover but that's it.... looks like someone couldn't figure out when to stop while pulling in the garage..  

All In all i think it was a fair price i paid, and they can do all the transfer dmv stuff at the dealer so that will all be done when I pick it up.....

awesome! Sounds like a good truck.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, demo243 said:

awesome! Sounds like a good truck.

I hope so.... I'm always a little leary with used purchases.... you just never know... I got lucky wife the wifes Subaru the other year.... I had 1 wheel bearing go bad in 2 years .... and just had to put some tires on.... hoping for the same luck with this one.... I'd like to see a couple years with doing no more than an oil change....

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I hope so.... I'm always a little leary with used purchases.... you just never know... I got lucky wife the wifes Subaru the other year.... I had 1 wheel bearing go bad in 2 years .... and just had to put some tires on.... hoping for the same luck with this one.... I'd like to see a couple years with doing no more than an oil change....

I think you’ll be good! You’ve got a lot of mechanical know all too feel anything that might not be right, and they are good trucks. There is 10+ years behind that truck and engine, they should have figured it out.

• Like 2