1972 Datsun 521 Lost Keys

Jaye Rochell

Just bough a 1972 Datsun `521 truck from an individual who said he did not have any keys for the truck or the ignition. I was wanting to get the truck running and driving and I am wondering what would be the best and cheapest option to get new keys for the ignition and the truck. Should I go out and but a new ignition switch with keys already? Just need some help going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, zed1 said:

What is the four digit code on the ignition lock?

Keith

It is the key code for the cylinder.

Back in the last century if you took your key code to a locksmith and or Nissan dealer they had a book that had a list of key codes and that book would give the depth of the cuts needed to make a new key. There was a manual "key gun" we used to use to punch out key cuts. These days you mostly find a machine that does all of this but is limited in how old of a vehicle you can cut a key for.

• Like 1

if your ignition and door locks are the originals ones, their will be a 4 digit number lightly stamped on all 3 parts with the same number. The numbers are very small so wipe the area off clean. Use a magnifying or reader glasses, yes their that small.  

Most lock smiths will have a code book to tell what the depth of the cut of each number is. Some lock smiths might have a duplicate key just like the originals or close to them.

GL 

Edited by 420n620
cause I could ?? TY
  • Like 2

The reason I suggest taking the locks is in the 48 years of this trucks life any part or parts may have been replaced.  If you have the locks with you the locksmith might be able to find the codes.  Or he can make key to fit one lock and can try it in the other locks if it works you are set.  But if it does not work you have all the locks there so when you leave you will have keys and all the locks work.  This saves running back and forth to the locksmith.

All the locks including glove box and gas door are all keyed the same.  Makes the key ring of keys smaller.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 4/21/2020 at 2:00 PM, 420n620 said:

if your ignition and door locks are the originals ones, their will be a 4 digit number lightly stamped on all 3 parts with the same number. The numbers are very small so wipe the area off clean. Use a magnifying or reader glasses, yes their that small.  

Most lock smiths will have a code book to tell what the depth of the cut of each number is. Some lock smiths might have a duplicate key just like the originals or close to them.

GL 

Where exactly are the 4 digit code stamped on the lock cylinder?

9 hours ago, Tex alex said:

Usually on the barrel of the lock, kind of hard to see. I'd bring the whole lock in so they can look at it and then immediately test the key. Just did this myself, $20 and a new perfect key, well worth it. You probably want to find an smaller locksmith shop run by an older guy.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Tex alex said:

Dguy210 answered it ( where numbers are stamped )  and is correct on going to an older locksmith. Hope that helped you. 

13 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Usually on the barrel of the lock, kind of hard to see. I'd bring the whole lock in so they can look at it and then immediately test the key. Just did this myself, $20 and a new perfect key, well worth it. You probably want to find an smaller locksmith shop run by an older guy.

• Like 1