Moss covered 521

Pnwdatsun

52 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

Love it man, are you going to Bring the back down a little more. But digging the direction you went.

Yeah, I’m planning that now. 4 inches doesn’t seem to be enough but I don’t plan on going bags so I’m gonna look at the frame and see what kind of changes I want to make

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, mainer311 said:

You’ll still be raked at 3”. Any more than that and you’ll risk dragging the shock mount if you ever get a flat tire.

That is why I used early Datsun 510 Wagon shock mount plates, I dropped my 520 7 inches in the rear and I still only used 2 inch drop blocks and a wedge which likely totaled 2 1/8", but I did some serious modifying to get it that low, I used 4wd 720 leafs, I used Datsun Roadster rear shackles/mounts, I used 520 front leaf mounts(720 frame/chassis), I removed the carrier cross member that hangs down and put a cross member in that didn't hang down, I also had to do a major "C" notch, and that was just the back, the front also has some serious modifications also(drop arms, relocated the tension rods).

DSCN2205.jpg

Here is the Roadster shackle mount, that is as close to the frame as I could get the leaf in the rear without modifying the frame.

DSCN2121.jpg

Here is the 510 wagon mount plate on my 520 while sitting on the ground.

001.jpg

It takes a lot of work to go low safely, I have lots of travel in the front also, but the cross member under the oil pan touches the ground every once in a while when I dive off a large speed bump, and I cannot go over small speed bumps in parking lots, I have to avoid them all together.

• Like 1

Full-Size-Render.jpg

Full-Size-Render-1.jpg

Ive made some good progress the last few days. Installed 4" lowering blocks in the rear, replaced my fuse block and took the truck for its first drive since purchase. I still have a list of things to take care of this weekend in order to start driving it. I have to replace my choke cable, tighten the torsion bars up, adjust the carb, bleed the brakes, tie down the battery and replace my driver head light. the goal is to start dailying the truck.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I’m digging this truck

part of me says leave it

another says wash it and rub compound it an just leave the rust look

I would probably wash it with a pressure washer, but no rubbing compound. There are oils that preservationists use to keep the look without making it look like you tried to rub it out.

The moss is very cool, but yeah, it should be done away with. Maybe you should stage a photo shoot before you wash it, so that you have the pics for posterity.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:53 AM, Pnwdatsun said:

Im curious to see those options. i believe mine has the engine room lamp already, dealer added heat box as well. A/c may come later down the road

They have a fixed bulb but I meant the one that has the removable hand held lamp on  a cord...

QRh3FFD.jpg

A4miodQ.jpg

For cleaning the fuse box...

IMG-9807.jpg

Remove those screws and replace with SS ones. Wash in detergent and scrub clean to remove any oil. Get a tall glass or flat container and fill with lemon juice with several spoons of table salt dissolved in it. Soak over night and rinse off and let dry the next day. 

copp7.jpg

• Like 3
On 4/25/2020 at 6:34 PM, datzenmike said:

They have a fixed bulb but I meant the one that has the removable hand held lamp on  a cord...

QRh3FFD.jpg

A4miodQ.jpg

For cleaning the fuse box...

IMG-9807.jpg

Remove those screws and replace with SS ones. Wash in detergent and scrub clean to remove any oil. Get a tall glass or flat container and fill with lemon juice with several spoons of table salt dissolved in it. Soak over night and rinse off and let dry the next day. 

copp7.jpg

I have gotten a new to me fuse block. It works for now but I’ll be cleaning it here soon 

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, wayno said:

That is why I used early Datsun 510 Wagon shock mount plates, I dropped my 520 7 inches in the rear and I still only used 2 inch drop blocks and a wedge which likely totaled 2 1/8", but I did some serious modifying to get it that low, I used 4wd 720 leafs, I used Datsun Roadster rear shackles/mounts, I used 520 front leaf mounts(720 frame/chassis), I removed the carrier cross member that hangs down and put a cross member in that didn't hang down, I also had to do a major "C" notch, and that was just the back, the front also has some serious modifications also(drop arms, relocated the tension rods).

DSCN2205.jpg

Here is the Roadster shackle mount, that is as close to the frame as I could get the leaf in the rear without modifying the frame.

DSCN2121.jpg

Here is the 510 wagon mount plate on my 520 while sitting on the ground.

001.jpg

It takes a lot of work to go low safely, I have lots of travel in the front also, but the cross member under the oil pan touches the ground every once in a while when I dive off a large speed bump, and I cannot go over small speed bumps in parking lots, I have to avoid them all together.

Im curious on the roadster shackle. What all did you do to swap and what was the drop 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Pnwdatsun said:

Im curious on the roadster shackle. What all did you do to swap and what was the drop 

That is complicated, where in Washington are you?

I did a lot to that truck, it took a long time to do all of it, basically I did a 7 inch drop in the rear/6 inch drop in the front, I notched the rear frame, I put 720 4wd leafs in it, I used 2.5 inch drop blocks with wedges and used 510 wagon leaf brackets with that shock arrangement, but you cannot do that to your 521 frame/chassis unless you make new upper shock mounts, I used the Roadster shackle mounts and modified 720 shackles to fit, I removed the carrier bearing cross member that hangs down and put one in that did not hang down and I connected the carrier to that and it seemed to work fine, I did a couple other things you will not have to do to a 521 frame, I routed the exhaust above the cross members which required making the tunnel bigger on the driver side near the shift lever hole, I made drop arms for the front as I use stock 14" Datsun 620 disc brake rims, I relocated the tension rods to the rear and cut the stock tension rod mounts off the frame because they were hitting everything, I used early Datsun Roadster shocks in the front and had to make the drop arms work with them, I made new holes in the drop arms to put the sway bar hardware in as the shocks mounted in the sway bar holes in the drop arms, I did some other stuff that you will not have to do with your 521 frame, you would need to figure out other ways to lower yours as low as mine and have it be safe, you see if I get a flat nothing will drag on level ground like on the freeway, I drag on all speed bumps in parking lots so I avoid them parking lots now or I figure out a way thru without going over a speed bump.

It is not easy to do what I did to this truck, it took over 4 years to get it on the road, and then more years to finish it.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, wayno said:

That is complicated, where in Washington are you?

I did a lot to that truck, it took a long time to do all of it, basically I did a 7 inch drop in the rear/6 inch drop in the front, I notched the rear frame, I put 720 4wd leafs in it, I used 2.5 inch drop blocks with wedges and used 510 wagon leaf brackets with that shock arrangement, but you cannot do that to your 521 frame/chassis unless you make new upper shock mounts, I used the Roadster shackle mounts and modified 720 shackles to fit, I removed the carrier bearing cross member that hangs down and put one in that did not hang down and I connected the carrier to that and it seemed to work fine, I did a couple other things you will not have to do to a 521 frame, I routed the exhaust above the cross members which required making the tunnel bigger on the driver side near the shift lever hole, I made drop arms for the front as I use stock 14" Datsun 620 disc brake rims, I relocated the tension rods to the rear and cut the stock tension rod mounts off the frame because they were hitting everything, I used early Datsun Roadster shocks in the front and had to make the drop arms work with them, I made new holes in the drop arms to put the sway bar hardware in as the shocks mounted in the sway bar holes in the drop arms, I did some other stuff that you will not have to do with your 521 frame, you would need to figure out other ways to lower yours as low as mine and have it be safe, you see if I get a flat nothing will drag on level ground like on the freeway, I drag on all speed bumps in parking lots so I avoid them parking lots now or I figure out a way thru without going over a speed bump.

It is not easy to do what I did to this truck, it took over 4 years to get it on the road, and then more years to finish it.

I’m in Vancouver area, and I’m on 4” blocks in the rear and I’m just looking for another 2” or so. I was thinking 720 springs but I don’t think it will be enough 

• Like 1

You can come to my house and look at my truck and I can tell you exactly what I did, I live in east Vancouver in the Cascade park area.

I removed the 4" blocks I had in mine, stuff was going to drag on the ground if I got a flat and I had no interest in that happening.

Did you remove your bump stops when you put the 4" drop blocks on?

How much room you have between the axle and frame?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, wayno said:

You can come to my house and look at my truck and I can tell you exactly what I did, I live in east Vancouver in the Cascade park area.

I removed the 4" blocks I had in mine, stuff was going to drag on the ground if I got a flat and I had no interest in that happening.

Did you remove your bump stops when you put the 4" drop blocks on?

How much room you have between the axle and frame?

Send me a message with your number, I’ll have my truck back on the road tonight ill swing by sometime after that 

• Like 1