j13 rebuild

Riddle

So I've been getting my engine rebuilt for a while now. I want to get everything on this engine to perform as well as it can. With that said. Do any of you guys know of anyone who would make a custom exhaust manifold? Ive got a rebuilt j13 and I want to add a turbo, but I'm not sure what size turbo would be best for it. (Not sure if the size of turbo would make a difference on how the manifolds made). I don't have any pics of the engine on me so I can't add the pics yet, but I will as soon as I can.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very cautious with that. The J13 only has 3 main bearings to support it. The L series and the A series after it all had 5 and the crankshafts are well supported. The J13 is a great little engine and like the old VW bug were impossible to blow up because they didn't make a lot of power. If wanting to keep this car engine original I would try to find a J15 and there was even a J18 put in Nissan vehicles in Mexico. I think the Mexican 510 had J series engines. Engine swap? An L20B is over 90 hp.

If the engine is practically finished I would just add a slightly larger carburetor and enjoy it.

• Like 1

I think the Weber 32/36 is slightly large for an L20B although it will work, almost certainly a J13 is too small for it. You should never run too large a carburetor. An A14 or L16 carburetor would be good but it most likely won't bolt on and an adapter would need to be made. Is the J13 a linkage or cable to the carburetor? If you have no fabricating skills stick with what you know and run it stock.

• 2 months later...

When I was in high school in the late 70s, I ran a PL411 with a 2 barrel Weber. It bolted right on. I don't remember the model, but just to let you know that it is the best mod for the J13, I think. The problem, I found, was the linkage. You have to custom fab that. That took the longest as I had a shop do it. It was far too expensive and took forever. I'd say, make friends with a shop that is willing to do this for you if you are not good at that sort of stuff.

• 1 year later...

Update: I got the engine back a few months ago. It looks amazing. i haven't driven it yet due to the machine shop loosing the old oil pan and putting one on that is the wrong size. The engine sticks out of my engine bay by around an inch or two. pretty annoyed by this. If anyone has a J13 oil pan please LMK. Other than that the shop did a dyno on it, and according to him its putting out 267HP, and 287 TQ. Im so happy to hear those numbers, and ill be even more happier when i get to drive this thing!

41 minutes ago, Riddle said:

Other than that the shop did a dyno on it, and according to him its putting out 267HP, and 287 TQ. Im so happy to hear those numbers, and ill be even more happier when i get to drive this thing!

So what exactly was done to this tiny 1.3 liter to get these numbers? because as it is right now that's very hard to believe. I can't believe you believe it. Turbo and nitrous?

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Hey guys long time no see. i got a update for this. i got the motor in and it sounds so weird XD. i dont have a exhaust yet. Once again ive ran into a problem. I CANT DRIVE THE THING! now the clutch wont engage. i just got a cylinder rebuild for it should be in in about a week. ill try to keep you guys updated on this. it seems like im so close to getting this thing driving. also is there a place i can get new brakelines from? 

On 9/20/2021 at 10:16 AM, Riddle said:

Other than that the shop did a dyno on it, and according to him its putting out 267HP, and 287 TQ. Im so happy to hear those numbers, and ill be even more happier when i get to drive this thing!

67 hp and 87 torque is barely believable. A J13 is about 60 hp maybe. Or is this an LS swap????

I'm just saying what the guy who built it told me. I'm also doubtful, and I don't think the dyno was calibrated correctly or something. Its the J13 that came in it. I need to find the receipt with the build sheet on it so i can show what was done to it. As for now lets just say its stock until I can back up what the guy said, and find the build sheet. Also is there any way to upload a photo of the engine and my slow progress?