Datsun B210 carbon canister

Kurt

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a thin fiberglass? filter on the bottom but there only to hold the activated charcoal from falling out I think. You could cut one from a thin piece of pink insulation or support the old one with some fly screen. For the charcoal just get any canister from any car and empty it out. 

You could try the Nissan dealer or an auto supply. The part number for the bottom screen is 14952-N5300 about $10 at the dealer (doubtful) probably half that elsewhere.

The charcoal only stores gas fumes. When the engine is running fresh air is sucked in through the filter in the bottom, displacing the fumes out the top and into the intake manifold. I suppose the bottom filter could be rinsed out or replaced but there's nothing to plug the charcoal granules. I wouldn't mess with it and risk ruining the charcoal's absorption quality. Basically don't try to fix what isn't broken.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The charcoal only stores gas fumes. When the engine is running fresh air is sucked in through the filter in the bottom, displacing the fumes out the top and into the intake manifold. I suppose the bottom filter could be rinsed out or replaced but there's nothing to plug the charcoal granules. I wouldn't mess with it and risk ruining the charcoal's absorption quality. Basically don't try to fix what isn't broken.

O'Reiley's used to sell replacement lower cannister filter pads.  You just removed the old filter and slapped on the replacement.  Don't know if such a low level of sales unit survived the bean counters but give it a try.  These purge cannisters are usually located low in the engine compartment so the filter is subject to trying to inhale road crud, thus the external filter medium.