Are the headlight switch of 521 the same of 620?

MiltonV

Ok, I searched for this same topic and seems like no one has asked this before so this may help someone else in the future.

Are the 521 headlight switch electrically the same as the one of the 620? May I use a 620 switch in case I don't have a original 521? Do I need to modify something?

This stating I'm stock with no mods or extras.

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nfjh.jpg

Well the 521 shows a box with 6 wires going into it. Later diagrams like the 620 actually show the wires inside and the connections they make and the switch positions which are way better. Two of the wires in the 521 diagram are for fog lights and one or two for selecting hi and low beams which is confusing because isn't the hi/low a lever on the column????

The 620 switch has 4 wires and two positions. First position is parking and dash lights. Second is the same but adds power to the headlights. I'm willing to guess that you could use a 620 switch in a 521 maybe if the plug was changed. I don't know why Nissan shows a headlight switch that combines optional fog lights and also a dimmer switch. Makes no sense to me... the 510 diagram is just fine.

• Like 1

Numbers are different, I checked that first. Different parts can still sometimes work. I still think that with a little work a 620 switch would work. How is the knob attached on the 521? push in and turn? possibly the 520 knob would fit.  Then the plug is almost certainly different but still that can be changed if motivated.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You sure it's the headlight switch? Should be 2 Green/Blue and 2 Red wires on the connector. The '75 and up had a fiber-optic cable so the knob would light up.

Yep, it's the one sold locally for all the 620's around here.

There are 6 cables, R/RW, GR/RY, G/GR

the electrical configuration is, assuming pin #1 is the first up/left and #4 the one just below, with switch pulled in first pos 1-4 no contact 2-5 contact 3-6 contact

pos 2, 1and 4 make contact, the other remain as in pos 1 but they don't interconnect between them.

So if someone have an original 521 and can tell me the electrical connections that would be awesome 

1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

521 knobs are held on by a small set screw into a hole in the shaft.

Forgot and no excuse, I had a 521 for fur 8 years.

Six wires? Maybe a Porto Rico thing for overseas trucks.

• Like 1