Is this factory work?

MiltonV

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need to replicate that wire connection, the industry term is "wire crimp" and you can find them at shops like Del City or Mouser Electronics. I think even McMaster Carr has some too.

If you can't find them, it is possible to cut a standard butt connector in half and use it like a wire crimp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been changing my views on crimp vs solder connections. I used to solder everything, but now I try to avoid soldering terminal connections (as they can vibrate and crack). Soldering a splice is acceptable to me, but if the crimp is good, that's fine too.

FYI - soldering large gauge wires and their connectors takes a lot of heat. Even with an expensive soldering gun, you may still need more heat than it can generate. If you lay the heat on too long, you run the risk of melting the wire's insulation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Solder is intended for making an electrical connection only. Any two wires joined, must be mechanically connected, twisted together or crimped before soldering. I see shit on you-tube where two wires are held together and solder blobbed on and held till cool. SMH.

On large lugs I tin the wire if possible then solder paste and assemble. Use a torch to heat only the lug while holding solder to the wire. When hot enough the liquid solder is drawn into the lug. Hopefully I remembered to slip a piece of heat shrink tubing on the end first to cover any heat damage to the insulation.  

• Like 2
22 hours ago, pidge said:

I asked the same thing recently. Thought the same thing as you with regards to bubbas garage 

https://imgur.com/a/Fw05kRj

https://imgur.com/a/BWfbZG7

Lol you see...its easy to think that but now I'm totally sure its factory, and despite it looks aesthetically it certainly works...hey those have almost 50 years and still working, to me it's more than enough to replicate it when I need to re do my wiring harness.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Solder is intended for making an electrical connection only. Any two wires joined, must be mechanically connected, twisted together or crimped before soldering. I see shit on you-tube where two wires are held together and solder blobbed on and held till cool. SMH.

On large lugs I tin the wire if possible then solder paste and assemble. Use a torch to heat only the lug while holding solder to the wire. When hot enough the liquid solder is drawn into the lug. Hopefully I remembered to slip a piece of heat shrink tubing on the end first to cover any heat damage to the insulation.  

Good advice on tinning. That speeds up the process.

• Like 1

Why can't they just say french fries? I've had it in several places that were 'fast food' and it's OK but I know it could be better. Fries and gravy used to be really big in the '70s but like poutine they get soggy real fast. I don't like soggy fries so never order it or have the gravy on the side. The cheese curds melt and become stringy and when forked out they can just blob into a mass of gravy/cheese/soggy fries. Again, this is fast food attempts at poutine. I'm sure fresh home made would be better. Poutine tastes just like what it's made of cheezy, gravy coated fries. You don't need that much salt, go easy, because the cheese is salty enough, pepper? for sure. Do I enjoy poutine, sure. A little soggy is all.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...