Problems with horn bar

MiltonV

Hi, I was working on the horn and everything went ok until I reached the bar button, it is the Izumi type with the 3 bakelite little thingies.

My problem is that it looks like these little things use a rubber cushion around to make some pressure to the metal ring which is the "hot" side of the circuit while the other part that is attached to the pad acts as a circuit close but when I attach the pad it comes in contact with the ring, so I assume there has to be a way to keep the ring and pad with some space between and I am not getting that space so what is wrong here? I only can think the bakelite spacers but since I don't have a new or a perfect one to compare can't say that those are the faulty part.

If anyone have one in good working order and can post some good pictures I would appreciate it.

TIA

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, the circuit is completed through the large spring (grounded) making contact to the plate on the back of the horn button/bar, which then gets pushed against the "seat" ring, which makes contact with the small spring to the contact ring that rotates against the spring steal contact (part of the turn signal switch).

I actually found some NOS of the "cushions", which if I remember correctly are just o-rings essentially. Before I got them I thought I had it working okay until it started randomly honking on the freeway and in traffic so I unplugged the relay 😅  I haven't tried to fix my horn again since I got them.  Either way, it's a finicky POS design, considering it has to work across a wide teeter-totter of a button.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

IIRC, the circuit is completed through the large spring (grounded) making contact to the plate on the back of the horn button/bar, which then gets pushed against the "seat" ring, which makes contact with the small spring to the contact ring that rotates against the spring steal contact (part of the turn signal switch).

I actually found some NOS of the "cushions", which if I remember correctly are just o-rings essentially. Before I got them I thought I had it working okay until it started randomly honking on the freeway and in traffic so I unplugged the relay 😅  I haven't tried to fix my horn again since I got them.  Either way, it's a finicky POS design, considering it has to work across a wide teeter-totter of a button.

Would like to see a pic of those

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MiltonV said:

Would like to see a pic of those

They're stored at my mom's property and with everything that's going on right now I haven't been visiting there. When this all blows over and I get a chance to go back there I'll try to dig them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1