Hitachi carb and starter on my J13 engine - rebuild

Rusty Dawg

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is well.

I recently tried to start my engine over in my 1961 PLG 222 truck and noticed that fuel was leaking out of the bottom of the carb, so I am in search of someone that could rebuild my Hitachi single barrel carb model VAA28 1B.  I knew that I would eventually rebuild it, but I was hoping to get her running first.  Can anyone recommend a rebuilder?

As a side note, I first left the coil wire off to simply make sure the engine would turn and to cycle some oil thru her.  After about 45 seconds of cranking her over, I noticed a little smoke coming from the rear of my starter....never a good sign.  Question is, would I easily find a replacement if I took it down to Napa or should I have it rebuilt?

Kind regards,

Roman

Edited by Rusty Dawg
  • Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pull the carb off and just clean it. The gaskets don't wear out and if careful and not torn they are reusable. A kit for it would be nice too. Flooding is probably a worn or dirty needle valve on the inlet. You need some newspaper covered table space, a few tools, paper towels, old tooth brush cloths and a camera so you can see what it should look like when putting back together. Carburetor cleaner in a spray can with a straw. Sure would help to have a manual for setting the adjustments.

Forty five seconds of cranking is not good. It should be more like several 5 second intervals and a couple minutes rest to cool down. If you think about it an engine that is tuned up and running properly rarely takes more than 3-4 seconds to start.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback datzenmike.  I already pulled the carb in anticipation of having to send it off.  The leak I was referring to came from the front of the carb(see photo), although I couldn't determine if it was from the drain plug or the linkage to the throttle butterfly.  I believe it was leaking around the linkage when I primed the carb with fuel.  I suppose I can break it down and clean it up to try again, but somehow I believe there will be parts or seals to replace.  I know the plunger boot that sits on top of the carb is shot and needs replacing, so I am not sure that I can find that part on my own.

662-B3-AB2-4317-4243-9-DB1-5940-FBF2133-

Point taken on cranking the engine for that long.  Would it hurt to spray something like a brake cleaner into the starter where the brushes are located in case there is debri build up from sitting in an open field the past 8 years?

• Like 1

Never seen this carb before. The nut on the bottom might be for draining water or sediment but I don't know. On other Hitachi's that is just a cover to get at the jet up inside.

I wouldn't spray anything into the starter. It's sealed so nothing should get in.

• Like 1

I have sent a few contacts I've met online to see if they might have a manual for this carb and then go from there.  Would you happen to know anyone that rebuilds Hitachi carbs though?

57-A7-C09-B-630-B-4-DBB-B3-B3-841-D30-A5

C1-E42-DC0-102-C-4-E2-F-AF96-7-FA642-EE6

I wasn't aware that the started was sealed.  I figured that the backside of it was open for ventilation or something since that is where the smoke came from.

• Like 1

Brother's Garage suggested someone in Fresno, so I will try them.  I will also try Z Therapy.

From what I know the truck ran before I bought it a month ago, but it has been sitting for at least 8 years.  I never had a chance to really start it and when I saw fuel leaking out the bottom of the carb I quit.  I could check for spark, but the carb still needs to be inspected.

I will proceed with caution next time I try to fire her up.

• Like 1

All I can say about the carb is do not send it to anyone unless you and they know they have the correct kit for rebuilding it, I sent one of my 1962 Datsun 320 carbs to an outfit in Kent WA, I got a call from them a month later, they said they could not find a gasket kit for the carb, I had to send them one of my gasket kits I bought from somewhere, the next carb I sent them I had to supply a complete rebuild kit I bought from MLP Carb in Australia, and I didn't get any break/discount, I would not recommend that outfit in Kent WA.

As for the starter I would have to see a photo of it to determine if it is the same as an E1 starter, keep using the starter until it dies and then have it rebuilt.

• Like 1

If carb still on motor pour a tiny amount of gas in there and see if it fires off.

If not then,

take center coil wire place near chassis ground and check for spark.

try these 2 things first before sending anything

i had leaky carbs and still run

osmt a J motor a clone of a English BMC motor.maybe there is a place that sells new carbs for those!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

I will check for spark, but I was not thrilled with the carb leaking fuel onto the manifold.  I've heard about Moss Motors selling parts for MGB's which were copied by Nissan.  Given the worldwide situation Moss Motors has rightly so not been responsive to my inquiries, so I will have to wait.  I hope to find someone that has access to a rebuild kit and can go thru my carb.

• Like 1

I forgot this is a J13.

Personally I would likely buy a Weber for this, you can search "Datsun 520 carb" on ebay to find ones closer to what you have, but I would not buy the ones "Made in China", but a Weber would be much easier as this is not a stock engine.

There are a lot of things on the MG engines that will fit your engine, the E1/J13 are just copies(better copies) of the early MG engines, the Datsun head is an upgrade for an MG engine, but the only stuff that interests me is the MG intakes and distributors.

• Like 1

If you can put the carb back on with a good gasket to mount on the intake 

pour gas or shoot starter fluid in the carb. If it fires off then this will help us get threw this.

If carb or spark issues

if carb is leaky then you know you have gas getting to the carb.

not really hard to find out the points are not set and your not getting spark or distributor issue

so do this first

I was checking out the MossMotors site and like the Mikuni set up.That would be better than rebuilt SUs as they have accel pump built in

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Since I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel line to the pump, it was going to take a while to pull fuel to the engine and thus why I wanted to prime the carb before attempting to start it, but it leaked at that time.  Would rebuilding what I have a bad idea if I can find a kit?

Moss Motors has temporarily shut down, but I will reach out to them upon their return.

• Like 1

That is a single throat carb. Did J13's in cars and trucks ever use single barrel carbs? 

Didn't later 2-Series pickups have E-1 engines?

According to this page from 'Early Datsuns', you have the carb for the 1189cc E-1 engine that was available in the 1960 222 pickup.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180627105748/http://www.earlydatsun.com/datsun222.html

The throttle shaft and it's bore probably have mucho wear and that's where you got gas coming out when you primed the carb. Good luck finding parts for that carb. The later E-1 two barrel carbs are very difficult to find stuff for and that one is a good bit rarer. 

Edited by difrangia
Add info
  • Like 1

My truck originally had an E1 engine, but somewhere along the line it was swapped out to a J13...not sure about J13's not having single barrel carbs.  I'm very green when it comes to Datsun's, but from I've learned so far, aren't most engines in forklifts J15's?

• Like 1