Bought a 620. Questions About Suspension.

Polluted

Hey. I bought a 620 last summer and had an awesome time ripping around in it. This winter I've been messing around with a few things and I finally decided to take a look at the previous owner's suspension modifications. He did a ball joint and disc brake conversion on the front end. The way he did the ball joint conversion is a little unusual. He hacked up an upper control arm off a 720, then welded in an extra inch or so from a second control arm so it would reach the spindle. He also shimmed the whole thing where it bolts on to keep it from fouling on the upper shock mount. Pictures of the whole setup below....

https://imgur.com/a/HjeeDr3

https://imgur.com/a/oJMUTMm

Anyway, my question is would it be possible to order some Beebani uppers and mounts off Ebay and do the coilover swap given the modifications the previous owner already did? Would the Beebani upper control arm work with the spindle my truck has on it now? Is there any other reason it might not work with the parts I have now?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be me or the angle of the picture but you might want to check the length of the bolts holding those upper control arms on.....

To me I can see the threads of the bolt to the right of the shock but I don't see a bolt coming all the way through on the left... it looks like you can see the inside of the threaded part of the frame....

I see what you mean Crash. I think the guy who fabricated this setup has something welded between the mount and where those shims are that the bolts are actually threaded into, but I'll take a better look in behind to make sure it's all safe.

As for why I would switch to coils, the truck was actually beautifully restored and sorted when I bought it, but I can only drive it 4 months out of the year where I live, so I'm going to tackle one or two big projects every winter for no other reason than I can.

• Like 1

That's not a reason. If you think coils 'feel' better or your more familiar with them say so. I grew up with late 60's and '70 Dodges and they were all torsion bar. They work perfectly but if I had a ford or chev I wouldn't convert it.