A 75 5 speed from a Z car swap in my 74 620

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Not 100% sure but you should be able to..

Both transmissions should be 71bs... 

Measure the length of yours to be sure... 

And maybe the rear mount, but I think that will be ok...

Bellhousing will bolt up....

Thank you, I'll take a measure..

Yes it's as close to drop in as there is. Just so you know the Z car didn't have a 5 speed option till  '77 so it has been swapped already into the '75.

Change just the transmission. Keep and use the release bearing collar, or housing that holds the release bearing but always put a new release bearing on it. If there is one on the z 5 speed set it aside. You can use either clutch arm if it comes with one. lightly grease the pivot ball the arm sits on.  You can use the clutch slave cylinder that is on the truck and the push rod that is on it. 

Can you tell me if the 10mm bolt that holds the speedometer pinion in is in the same position is the truck OR is it down at 6 o'clock???? If in the same position as the truck ,put you truck speedometer pinion gear into the 5speed, to keep your speedometer accurate. Maybe post a picture of it if you can?

Likely it was drained for removal but I would remove the drain plug on the bottom and look at the oil that drips out. Is it grainy with silver specks? Try to get a money back guarantee if when you install it and there's problems.

Change the rear seal, it's easier now than find out it leaks later and have to do it in the car. They are only $5 and you just pry them out and tap a new one in.grease the lips so the drive shaft doesn't turn on it dry.

• Like 2

What about transmission length? Wasn't there a shorter L-series 4-speed in the early few years of the 620 that is shorter than the Z-car transmission?

If that is the case, you would just need the driveshaft from the late 70's truck.

• Like 1

The L16 in the 620 continued with the 26" L4W63, the same general 4 speed as the 521/510/710/A10 that had the removable oil pan on the bottom. The '74 620 was the first and only year the L18 was used and Nissan also upgraded to the stronger/longer 31.5" F4W71B (4spd.) that was used in the Z car. The later FS5W71B (5spd.) is a drop in in every sense of the word.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes it's as close to drop in as there is. Just so you know the Z car didn't have a 5 speed option till  '77 so it has been swapped already into the '75.

Change just the transmission. Keep and use the release bearing collar, or housing that holds the release bearing but always put a new release bearing on it. If there is one on the z 5 speed set it aside. You can use either clutch arm if it comes with one. lightly grease the pivot ball the arm sits on.  You can use the clutch slave cylinder that is on the truck and the push rod that is on it. 

Can you tell me if the 10mm bolt that holds the speedometer pinion in is in the same position is the truck OR is it down at 6 o'clock???? If in the same position as the truck ,put you truck speedometer pinion gear into the 5speed, to keep your speedometer accurate. Maybe post a picture of it if you can?

Likely it was drained for removal but I would remove the drain plug on the bottom and look at the oil that drips out. Is it grainy with silver specks? Try to get a money back guarantee if when you install it and there's problems.

Change the rear seal, it's easier now than find out it leaks later and have to do it in the car. They are only $5 and you just pry them out and tap a new one in.grease the lips so the drive shaft doesn't turn on it dry.

Thank you Mike! You are always a wealth of information. I will check on the speedometer pinion bolt.