510 cranks, but won’t fully start. Help!

So I’ve been trying to get my car running, but I can’t seem to get it to fully turn over. It’s a stock l16.

Im pretty sure I set up the tdc correctly and followed the 1-3-4-2 firing order, but the engine only does a slow crank. Maybe my timing might actually be off but I can’t tell.

If anyone knows any solutions, please reply . I can send videos of how it sounds through email if needed. Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine is stock.

It came off a 521 since the original engine in my 510 was blown, so I ended up swapping it in. I did add a Weber 32/36 electric choke carburetor. Maybe that might cause the problem? Since I’m not an expert mechanic or anything, the main problem I would think it could be would be timing. The timing marks are slightly different then the ones that were on my original l16, but I doubt that really makes a difference, right?

I actually did not see it run.

I just took the guy’s word who sold me the engine.

Maybe I got screwed with an engine that’s shot?

Id have to do a compression test to really tell, right?

Well time to start with some basic stuff.

Take the valve cover off  wiggle every rocker arm. You will have to bump the engine with the starter till the valve spring is all the way up. The rocker should be very slightly loose and wiggle. As long as they all have some slight looseness they will do for now.

Take the distributor cap off and turn the engine till the points are fully open. The points rub on a 4 lobe cam that opens and closes them. Set on the highest point of one of those lobes. The gap should be 0.018" to 0.020" OR the thickness of a matchbook cover.

Yes firing order is 1342 but in a counter clockwise direction.

Pull a plug wire off, put an old plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface. Try starting the engine. Do you see a spark????

Is the battery fully charged up?

Are the two cables and battery posts clean and tight?

Is the ground cable tight on the bolt on the head?

Is the positive cable tight on the starter?

• Like 1

Mike has pretty much covered things.  I just wanted to add this since you mentioned a compression test.  You can remove plug #1.  As you turn the crank over, put your thumb over the hole where the spark plug was.  Try to seal it fairly well.  As the piston comes up on the compression stroke, air will be forced out past your finger.  You can have the dizzy cap off at this time too.  You can also watch the crank timing mark.  You should feel the air as the piston rises and as it quits blowing out, the rotor in the dizzy should be point near where plug #1's tower/wire would be and the timing mark on the crank pulley should be near the TDC mark.  Personally, I would do this before taking the valve cover off, but I hate dealing with the cover and the gasket. lol  If you don't feel any air being pushed out of plug one, you can check the others. If you're having trouble feeling the air even after two turns of the crank.....then definitely pull the valve cover.    As long as plug one is out, you can put the wire on it and lay it on a grounded surface to watch the spark like Mike suggested.  You'll need the dizzy cap/rotor on correctly.

Oh....if you don't have a helper on this, see if you can find a remote start switch at a car parts store.  It's basically a momentary switch that you connect to the positive on the battery and the small wire on the starter.  Make sure you're out of gear and have blocks or the parking brake on.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, KenEB said:

The timing marks are slightly different then the ones that were on my original l16, but I doubt that really makes a difference, right?

This can be a problem. I've seen people accidentally mix and match pulleys and timing pointers. They varied from model to model and over the years. Best way to be 100% positive is to verify TDC by pulling the #1 spark plug and bringing the piston up with a socket wrench on the crank pulley bolt. Once it's there, check the pointer. Is it close?

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports

Do you smell fuel in the carb?  Maybe when you pull the spark plug out, you should smell small amount of fuel as it's cranking.  Fuel filter or bad fuel pump.  Check after the above suggestions. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 5:26 AM, KenEB said:

So I’ve been trying to get my car running, but I can’t seem to get it to fully turn over. It’s a stock l16.

Im pretty sure I set up the tdc correctly and  Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin followed the 1-3-4-2 firing order, but the engine only does a slow crank. Maybe my timing might actually be off but I can’t tell.

If anyone knows any solutions, please reply . I can send videos of how it sounds through email if needed. Thanks.

hope the ignition wires are still stock withe the hot start wire in the correct spot 

you get spark?