Crank Pulley Seal

I have fixed so many leaks (trans, coolant, valve cover) on this thing I am down to the last one.

Everything that I have seen has said that you need to put the car in 4th gear (on a manual car) and you might be able to get the stubborn crank bolt off to replace the seal behind the pulley.  I have a Jatco automatic, do I have to pull the motor to get this thing off?

Edit: Should mention it's a 1972 4 door Datsun 510 with stock 1.6L

Edited by slim_jimmy7
Clarify
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try putting the wrench on the pulley nut,then a piece of pipe as an extension so it touches the ground and hit the starter briefly.Make sure you have things oriented correctly so you don't send the wrench flying.Or an impact driver if you have one.

The nut comes off by turning it counter clockwise. Raise the front end and block the tires. If you use a 27mm socket with a breaker bar hanging downwards, just lay down on your left side facing the passenger side with feet under the front and kick the bar over towards the driver's side with your right foot. The trick is to get comfortable, take a couple of practice 'swings' and then suddenly kick backwards with the flat of your foot as hard as you can. Half hearted kicks will just spin the engine. I have done this on engines with no head on them, laying on the ground, no compression just the inertia of the rotating assembly and ring friction.

• Like 1

I drilled a hole in the valence in line with the bolt, and used an impact with an extension through the hole to zip it off. The hole in the valence is hidden behind the bumper so no one will see it. 

Edit- Just remembered this was to remove the crank pulley on my SR, but the L-series pulley is probably in close to the same spot.