What is this switch?

Gery

BACKGROUND (‘78 620 kc)

I replaced my automatic trans. with a 5 speed manual.  Without the forward creep of the auto, the under-dash parking brake handle was not adequate or convenient on hills, etc.  So, I installed a.between the seats floor mount parking brake, which turned out fine.  I even moved the handbrake switching over to the new set-up. Finally, with some spare time (shelter at home), I decide to pull the handbrake assembly from under the dash.There, mounted on the assembly, I found an additional momentary switch that is triggered when the accelerator is pushed way down.

QUESTION(s): What is the purpose of this switch?    Do I need it?

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the switch on the floor that the gas pedal clicks when the pedal if floored???? Used only on automatics to force a down shift for additional power or for passing. Not needed on a standard.

or

The switch actually on the hand brake for turning the brake warning light on, on the dash to tell you the parking brake is engaged or not fully off.

To Datzenmike-

I was pretty sure you’d clear up this minor mystery of the switch.  It was the switch that forced a downshift.

Thank you!

To: thisismatt-

i understand the confusion....but it isn’t for when the car is actually underway.  Automatics have a forward creep that keeps the car from free rolling backward when you stop on a hill and remove your foot from the brakes.  Manual transmissions obviously can’t have this feature.  Usually a quick, well coordinated foot change from brake to gas with a smooth release of clutch is fine.  But, on a really steep hill, with another car stopped close behind, it is helpful to engage the parking brake and thus free your right foot to be all set for the gas.  Then, as the clutch is released and the gas is applied, the parking brake is simultaneously released; all of which allows for a smooth takeoff up the hill.  Unless you live where there are steep hills upon which you have to stop, the situation rarely arises. But, if it does,  this technique can save dents, humiliation, and tears.

One other reason for the use is if you have just passed a cop and you do not want him/her to see that you just applied your brakes in an attempt to avoid a speeding ticket.  Brake lights do not go on when using the parking brake.  

The under-the-dash parking brake handle just does not (in my opinion) respond as well as a floor mounted levered parking brake.  That’s the reason just about all manually equipped (factory) cars for decades use the between-the-seats lever.

Probably/almost certainly more than anyone wanted on this particular topic but....

Gery

• Like 1

It was designed with the under dash pull handle and kept that way. Only the '76 1/2 and up 620 had a king cab available and these had bucket seats and a space for a parking brake.  I have a between the seats one now on my 710 and definitely like the location much better.

I found out years ago that you should use your parking brake every time you park. It keeps the cables shiny and rust free. More than once I have put the brake on, on someone else's car and have them stay on. Jesus what a nightmare.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, but your comments seem a bit snarky.  Also they don’t add anything valuable to the discussion.  You are welcome to drive your car anyway you want and use or not use your parking brake, but you needn’t jump into a topic just to criticize.  You’re listed a senior member and should set a better example.  Datsun owners come here to get and give information, not to be belittled.  I’m sure you have a lot of really useful knowledge that would be appreciated if you were to share it. 

7 hours ago, Gery said:

Sorry, but your comments seem a bit snarky.  Also they don’t add anything valuable to the discussion.  You are welcome to drive your car anyway you want and use or not use your parking brake, but you needn’t jump into a topic just to criticize.  You’re listed a senior member and should set a better example.  Datsun owners come here to get and give information, not to be belittled.  I’m sure you have a lot of really useful knowledge that would be appreciated if you were to share it. 

Welcome to the forums! 😁

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...