transmission swap

hansdh

Hi i am thinking about swaping the transmission on my nissan 720 84 model z22 engine 5 speed. i think the transmission is called FS5W71B but i am not sure about this. when i am looking after a new transmission is there som kind of marking  that i must be avare of?  and is it foreksample som other type of cars that got the same transmission like: the 720 with a diesel engine or nissan patrol from the same era.

446_1912879800.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the engine has been swapped or did Norwegian '84s have only Z22s??? .

Are you sure the transmission needs swapping? The '84 only came with 5 speeds so what's wrong with it? Maybe it's clutch related and easier to fix.

Measure the length. If 26" then only another 720 transmission that is 26" long will do. If 31.5" then any 5 speed from a Z series engine will work. Vehicles with a Z series and a long 31.5" length are the 720 (also) and the second generation S110 (200sx).

• Like 1

well it is not absolutt necessary, but I am having trubble with changing from 3. to 2. whitout the gears grinding, i guess i need to change the synchronizer ring. but the thought was to buy a new transmission and rebuild that one then make a swap.

• Like 1

There is still a couple of things that can be checked and done that may turn out to not be the transmission.

Well lets start with checking the transmission oil and see if it needs topping up first. Look for a leaking rear seal. Have you changed the oil in the last 30K miles or if you haven't owned it that long, do you know when it was changed last??? If no is your answer then I suggest draining and refilling it. The recommended 80w90 weight GL4 oil is, I think a bit thick for our latitudes. I switched to GM's Delco Friction Modified Synchromesh Transmission Oil. The same one made for the Corvette and Camaro and is compatible with our brass synchro rings. I found the shifting much improved specially when cold. In addition down shifting was even better. I had given up downshifting until well into a corner when going the slowest or there would be some gear clashing. Now that has disappeared. The Delco oil is a semi synthetic and noticeably thinner viscosity. The 71B takes two liters about $36 Canadian... it isn't cheap. If it doesn't help drain and use on your replacement transmission.

F144693122.jpg  US and Canada may use a different part number.

With the engine running and in neutral with clutch pedal up, step down on the clutch and try to shift into reverse s-l-o-w-l-y. If you can hear the gear teeth begin to tap against each other this means the clutch is not disconnecting. This can be a damaged clutch disc or pressure plate that is rubbing and spinning  the transmission gears and will be much harder for the synchro rings to mesh. Or the clutch hydraulic system is low on fluid. The clutch master is beside the brake master so check this first.

• Like 1