Re colouring a Dashboard

JK510

Hi Guys,

While this lockdown continues, I'm looking at doing some of the jobs I planned for later on and one of them is stripping out the dash and re-colouring as, the photo below almost shows, its looking a bit weary and needs refreshing.

Have you guys used any particular products for repainting the trim that you can share with me, preferably from online suppliers that are available in or UK based, thanks.Dash.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surface to color must be absolutely clean and free of wax or silicone spray shine. I had a pair of zx buckets in my 710 but they were a hideous red. It was temporary and I had black seat covers for them but showed around the bottom. So I sprayed the bottoms black so it wasn't so noticeable. It worked but I wouldn't advise it for seats that get a lot of traffic. It's IS a layer of plastic? and will scuff easier that the harder dash layer under it. Also the dash is textured??? rough finish?? The paint will try to fill in the detail.

They don't look too bad.  Have you tried the back to black or some kind of restorer?  I use Honda polish for my plastic on motorcycles (Not Hondas) and it works great.  Maybe before you have to paint anything?

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that all of the old Datsun plastic is what I call "real plastic".................unlike today's plastic which is called polypropylene.  PP plastic is waxed based & paint will not stick to it LONG TERM, even with these adhesion promoters!  Think of the Datsun plastic as the same plastic used in plastic car models, which we all painted when we were kids!  Bottom line, it is all about surface preparation!  If you or previous owners ever used silicon spray to "brighten up" the interior, that is your worst enemy!  Clean clean & clean it!  I have access to a sandblasting/media cabinet, so I always give the surface to be painted a QUICK blast to clean it & give the surface a little "tooth" so the paint adheres well.  Of course, you do NOT want to blast it like you would metal......just a quick blast!

My favorite paint is SEM Trim Black, but just about any paint for plastic will work.  Remember, you do NOT want to use gloss black OR flat black, if you want it to look original............you want to use MATTE black!  I've even spray bombed the interior door panels/cards & they turn out GREAT!  Good luck!