J engine

Rusty Dawg

Hello,

I recently picked up a 1961 PLG 222 pickup, but it does not have the original "E" engine and instead it has a "J" engine.  The engine number is J821462.  My question is what engine do I actually have?  I need to pick up a few parts at my local Napa to get her running, but I am not sure how to look up parts such as cap, rotor and wires.

Thanks,

Roman

• Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The J series 1,300cc engine is similar and used in the '65-'68 520 and the first year '69, L521. This is the most likely engine that you have. The 411 also used a J13 in '65 or after but had dual carburetors.

• Like 1

Are you positive the J13 in the 411 had dual carbs, it had an R16 with dual SUs(carbs) in the SSS model, it seems like if the J13 had dual carbs I am positive that everyone would have been upgrading to them in the trucks, but that is not the case, I personally have never seen a 320 or 520 with the stock engine with dual SUs(carbs).

I do have 2 different assemblies to put dual SUs on my 320, but they are from MGB's.

18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The J series 1,300cc engine is similar and used in the '65-'68 520 and the first year '69, L521. This is the most likely engine that you have. The 411 also used a J13 in '65 or after but had dual carburetors.

• Like 1

411 had twin SUs on a model named ,   special,,  I believe .. I’m not sure if Japan only but I’m pretty sure never imported here .

my take..

520/521 guys were the poster child for being Datsun cheap till just a few years ago ,, so importing anything exotic would have probably been unthinkable ..

I Was a “truck” guy and most of the guys I grew up with or hung out with were truck guys , and we treated them like trucks..

we took engines out of 510s /610s to get a 521 running that we got cheap that owner had blew up ,, and junk the rest . 

• Like 1

Count yourself lucky if it’s a J not and E as J points are same as almost every Datsun up into the late 70s .. E1 use weird points that are rather hard to source .. 

Which means you can install a pertronix that fits all those same models if you want set and forget type electronic ignition. 

• Like 1

Honestly,, Points are very reliable and really only take a little more care than normal but not any more than those front drum brakes so it works out . and you can have extra new set in glovebox .. never left me stranded . 

• Like 1

As much as I would have loved for the drivetrain to be original, I am somewhat glad it has a J engine in making it easier to source parts.  You did spark my interest in the Pertronix though bananahamuck.  Do you know how intensive of a process it is to convert?  I can probably still with my existing coil I assume?

• Like 2

I just converted my 411 (j13) in about an hour or so because had to solder wires to make longer to reach coil... if not for that it’s probably a 15 minute job taking your time . 

I had pertronix in my old 55 Ford for 10-15 years or more with no problems...  brother has had pertronix in his 510 since 2009-ish and never had to change out.. So I’m pretty ok with using them. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rusty Dawg said:

I think I will go ahead and give one a try...I do like some of the modern conviniences.  Seems like the "PerTronix 1741 Ignitor for Datsun 4 Cylinder" is the one I would order.

before you order,,,  maybe give a couple shots of your points as they may have used E1 distributor that came in truck ,,  and those are to different of a setup to use same pertronix.  

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Rusty Dawg said:

I'm not quite sure I'm following you bananahamuck.  Are you saying that if in fact the distributor came from an E engine the PerTronix 1741 will have to be installed differently?

what i believe to be a E1 distributor ,,,, came out of E1 engine i have

Notice pivot point for adjustment

8aFF5Rc.jpg

vmeQTFn.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

J13 distrubutor ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Again notice adjustment pivot point,,, this is same as most Datsuns up to like 76-77(?) 

I believe if you have this you're good to go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  maybe ,, haha

ajgZr4A.jpg

7FVswmc.jpg

I am by no means a E1 guy .. so maybe @wayno can confirm 

Edited by bananahamuck