1977 SR20DET 620 "Black and BlueBird"

breezenahan

On 1/11/2021 at 8:11 AM, breezenahan said:

we will be running a booster, a delete is not a realistic option for us, especially with the 1" willwood

the booster that came on our truck is in rough shape, though i dont know if it is just cosmetic or not. does anyone know a good place to source good ones if ours turns out to be faulty?

The outside is easily painted. 

Rockauto has some if it is not working 

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

a lot of progress over the last few months, hard to put it all into words because its been over such a long period of time, exhaust manifold/downpipe modification (we didnt weld that pipe to make it look that good but we did fit it!), fuel tank and filler neck modification, battery box relocation and wiring, rubber on the wheels recently.  throttle cable, some mild wiring and very recently alternator bracket fabrication/driveshaft acquisition and installation. dont have photos of everything and dont want to put a massive post together, so here are some highlights and the link to the album here:  https://imgur.com/a/8D9ogfo 

NG2kHap.jpg

J1qF4pm.jpg

Edited by breezenahan
  • Like 3
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/8/2023 at 3:42 PM, Fast510 said:

What top mount exhaust manifold are you using? 

i know this is very late but this is a cxracing 510 top mount manifold that was modified to have a different turbo flange angle and placement.

heres some eye candy over the last however long  some stuff is very old work, other stuff is just last week, things are subject to change, like the fake "nismo" coil cover and such. battery box mounting shown under the bed, and some front fascia fabrication in there as well

you guys know how it is, your mazda blows up and you have to prioritize rebuilding that so you can drive, then you break your leg in a hockey game and are off your feet for 3 months... back at it with the 620 though. currently we are just getting the whole front end situated and straight (it was hit forever ago, and the passenger fender is not original to the car, so theres a lot of massaging we did to get the lines just right. I think we are pretty much there, as shown in the grill pictures, so the valence can finally come together

the front valence is a project though, we wanted to retain it but due to the intercooler it has to be heavily modified, I'm basically building a bespoke air dam for this thing, it should look pretty badass when its done, the plan is to add fender extension wings to the bottom fronts of the fenders to bolt the modified valence to, we are also going to split it down the middle of the valence and pitch it out so it comes to a point, going to have to add some material to make it work. We are going to add a small lip spoiler if the fit looks right.

much love to everyone, keep wrenching.

6eUuqQy.jpeg

BhD5cIg.jpeg

AW6o7Si.jpeg

Oayq0Jw.jpeg

nha7rBe.jpeg

Zd76tjQ.jpeg

65C55Ph.jpeg

am3n7j5.jpeg

N1M64Fi.jpeg

DFy05Tw.jpeg

• Like 2

It's amazing how many folks have done this swap int he last 14 years and it's always interesting to see their approaches to some of the obstacles encountered. I toyed around with the idea of a FMIC behind the valance. At the time there were no off the shelf intercoolers that would fit, and I didn't have the capability to design and fabricate one. I opted to use an off the shelf intercooler and mount it directly in front of the radiator with the charge pipes extending downwards and 180* back up into the engine bay. This worked reasonably well and didn't require a bunch of sheet metal cuts. In the middle of summer, the engine cooling system would get heat soaked sometimes as the intercooler restricted the flow to the radiator as well as pre-heated the air flowing across the radiators fins. I'm now looking at a water-to-air setup for compactness and greater efficiency. 

I may have overlooked this information in your thread, but what are the details on your LSD unit? My H190 lasted about 3 years before the spider gears let go. Which kicked my truck into frame off project mode. 

Check out DEI products, they may have something you can use to shield your downpipe from radiating too much heat into the surroundings. A turbo blanket and some exhaust wrap will help a bunch. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0c9496d479750436897662505215b827.jpeg

Reservoirs, body, booster and lines need heat shield. I like where this is going...

we have a fabbed up heat shield for the whole turbo system, just not photographed.

as for our LSD, its from one of those japanese taxis, I bought it from YJP auctions a few years ago. they are not easy to get your hands on

Edited by breezenahan
  • Like 2