Help installing intermittent wiper module

matrophy

Living in Oregon, it doesn't rain real hard often and drizzle and showers are more common than are full-on deluges. I'd like to supplement the 2-speed wiper switch on my '86 720 reg cab pickup with an intermittent wiper module which seem to be readily available. The majority of product reviews mention that the instructions that come with the module are not very helpful.

I am wondering is anyone has installed something similar and what difficulties there were.   I could use some help in figuring out what wires to cut etc before I start doing the actual cutting. I've added the wiring diagram for the module here. If someone could compare this to a wiring diagram for an '86 720 2WD regular cab with Z24 and 5-speed (VIN says it was produced in May of 1985) and tell me which wire in the wiper circuit is which color that would be a great help.

NcTYHA2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not positive, but there’s a good possibility that the wiring you need is already there. May not need to do any cutting. You can find a factory service manual online. You’ll need a matching switch and module.

• Like 1

It is, I was looking at this last night. There was an intermittent wiper option, 2 actually. One is called (I think) MIST and is a preset delay. It's on the wiper stalk in the first position then Med speed and then Hi. The second one is variable and has a twist knob on the end of the wiper stalk to set the delay. Either would require you to find the new wiper arm stalk and the matching amplifier box. The variable one has two extra wires from the stalk to the amplifier box. Even on trucks without the option the plug is there (unused) for the amplifier. I put a 720 column in my 620 and went with the variable delay..... much better.

The weird thing is that the variable delay was only available in the King Cab or GL model.

zRxQxlk.jpg

I have a 280zx wiper amplifier that has 8 wires rather than 6 like the 720. I suspect that turning the washer on also triggers the wiper like some newer cars but I haven't installed it in my 710 yet.

• Like 2
On 3/28/2020 at 3:25 PM, matrophy said:

Living in Oregon, it doesn't rain real hard often and drizzle and showers are more common than are full-on deluges. I'd like to supplement the 2-speed wiper switch on my '86 720 reg cab pickup with an intermittent wiper module which seem to be readily available. The majority of product reviews mention that the instructions that come with the module are not very helpful.

I am wondering is anyone has installed something similar and what difficulties there were.   I could use some help in figuring out what wires to cut etc before I start doing the actual cutting. I've added the wiring diagram for the module here. If someone could compare this to a wiring diagram for an '86 720 2WD regular cab with Z24 and 5-speed (VIN says it was produced in May of 1985) and tell me which wire in the wiper circuit is which color that would be a great help.

I have a 1986 FSM in PDF form if you would like. Feel free to send me a PM with your email and I can send it over. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 7:38 AM, MaxChlan said:

I have a 1986 FSM in PDF form if you would like. Feel free to send me a PM with your email and I can send it over. 

Thanks. Apparently the 86 FSM doesn't match the wiring in terms of wire color in my truck but the 84 manual does. If you happen to have an 84 version I could definitely use it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, matrophy said:

Thanks. Apparently the 86 FSM doesn't match the wiring in terms of wire color in my truck but the 84 manual does. If you happen to have an 84 version I could definitely use it.

Interesting. Is your truck actually a late 84 model?

• Like 1