Dello vs Rotella comparison

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First I wouldn't run a synthetic in a Datsun engine. I suppose you could if newly rebuilt and broken in but the added protection is way above what's needed or will ever be used so kind of a waste of money. I have tried it and on an old high mileage one and it began to seep out the front crank seal and the gasket on the fuel pump. Now if your engine is 'built' like with a turbo or with power adders like cam and multiple carbs then less of a reason not to. I wouldn't run 5w in it either as my L20B is 50 year old technology with wide bearing clearances and doesn't need 5w for better mileage nor faster flow when cold to protect the bearings. 

Would really like to see how the T4 oil performs. I'm running 15w40 but only drive in the mid spring to late fall when it's mild to hot out. I did start and drive it below freezing one winter and noticed no difference in cranking speed or running even with 15w40. I usually change it every two years because it barely goes 5K miles and it's still relatively clean. I'm due for a change this summer and may try the T4 10w30. In a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to run Chevron Dello 400.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I didn't realize at first these were both synthetics.  I put 10-40 Delo dino oil in my truck and was curious if the Shell was any better.  Truck seems to take too long to warm up with the 10-40 (2.5 miles to work) so I'm planning on switching to a lighter weight at the next oil change.  From this guys analysis, it looked like the Shell might have more zinc than the Delo though.   

• Like 1

I doubt the oil thickness has much to do with warm up and 2.5 miles isn't very far. Maybe look at the thermostat sticking open. My '74 710 was slow to warm and ran low on the gauge.This is my 40+ year old thermostat...

BzXLKjU.jpg

As for zinc, both are considered about the same for use in a diesel. I just happened to find T4 available first and went with it.  I think the ZDDP in it is at least 1,000 ppm likely higher at 1,200 and a lot of oils back even 30 years ago had similar amounts. Today's gas engine oils are more like 600-700 or about up to half what they were. To be significantly different I would expect a difference in levels of 100ppm between Rotella and Delo.

I have an oil temperature gauge that rests at 60C. It takes a good 20 min or half an hour  for it to start reading above this. The highest I ever got was 93. Or in American just a hair under 200F

• Like 1