carb rebuild

how many times can you rebuild a weber 32/36 dgev? Ive rebuilt mine once before.ihave had it for 20 years.Should i just buy a new one? i plan on keeping the truck.I have replaced the throttle shaft bushings with bearing kit.i have noticed a little difference in the performance over the years.I know nothing last forever.Just wondering if itss time to just get a new one.

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it is cast i will look tomorrow for the 5a I bought this from 20 years ago from performance parts in New york.On the dgev the emulsion tubes have stamps on them.My father was disassembling the carb .He turned it upside and the tubes fell out one has f66 stamped on it.not sure what the other one has because i cannot read the stamping.is there anywhere i can get a repair or rebuild manual detailing these locations ?Just trying to get my 720 rolling again.i looked and DGAV S32 is stamped in the carb base.I also noticed that the primary jet and secondary jet were both stamped 135?

Edited by nissan720
  • Like 1

You can use this as a guide.  Lots of info.  There are also youtubes that people rebuild for reference, but be mindful that they are as good as the people making them.  "Grain of salt, if you will."

https://motofaction.org/mechanical-101/how-rebuild-clean-weber-32-36-dgv-dgav-dgev-dfv-dfev-dfav-carbs-carburetors-carburettors/

• Like 1

Plugged idle jet is the first cause.

could happen from rust or dirt in gas tank.

But if otherwise runs carb most likely ok unless a vacuum leak like from a cracked carb adapter if it’s a thin cast one.

I like new carbs myself but a 20 year carb is in the middle range myself.for me the accel pump diaphragm leaks which I have done a few over the years

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:11 PM, bilzbobaggins said:

Plugged idle jet?

And on cue, my weber stopped idling two days ago.  Plugged idle jet, this was a lint ball in mine.  Not sure where that came from.  Kinda think it might have been the nylon that is in the fuel line that got in there.

• Like 1

If you have a plastic see thru type cut it open and you can tell if it’s rusty in there.

if looks good and not a lot of rust then I say it’s ok there

bad idle is not going to be a fuel filter as at idle it uses barely any gas.Only on the higher end or load is when you can tell.

my521 had a idle proplem and it was dirty idle jet.cleaned it than happen again right in front of me.Replaced the filter and was good.open filter full of rust.the fuel tube is in the wheel well and water runs down inside past the clamp and gets in there

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 6:43 PM, nissan720 said:

how many times can you rebuild a weber 32/36 dgev? Ive rebuilt mine once before.ihave had it for 20 years.Should i just buy a new one? i plan on keeping the truck.I have replaced the throttle shaft bushings with bearing  Nox Vidmate VLC kit.i have noticed a little difference in the performance over the years.I know nothing last forever.Just wondering if itss time to just get a new one.

Not sure where that came from.  Kinda think it might have been the nylon that is in the fuel line that got in there.

• 1 month later...

I need to clean the carb on a little Honda 50. I'm looking on Ebay for the gasket kit (about $15), then I saw an aftermarket rebuild kit (about $45). I'm debating whether I should clean or spend extra to rebuild.

I haven't taken it apart and don't want to until I have the gaskets to put it back together. There is always the "buy a new aftermarket carb on ebay" option. Thanks for the help!