Mutherfuck!!!

So coronavirus gave me a week off just as the weather starts to warm up here in Redding, to start putting my engine back together, then today this happened:

49688534148_6cf6f33b26_n.jpgIMG_0778 by emanistan, on Flickr

And that put an end to my engine rebuild for the week. Thing is, that damned camshaft has been the bane of my existence. First I put it in too far and had to tap it back out once I realized what I'd done, then it wouldn't turn as well as it was supposed to, and then once I got it turning, I over-torqued one of the bolts on the locating plate and snapped it off. Luckily I was able to extract it and there was a 210 at my local Pick-N-Pull, so I spent 3 hours the next day stripping down it's engine for those bolts, went back home, and used the salvage bolts to put the plate on again before moving on to the pistons and the timing. This afternoon I was about to put the timing cover back on, but was worried the timing sprockets might not be all the way on the shafts, so I tapped down on the top sprocket with a hammer, and off snapped both bolt-heads again. Again; at least I was able to extract them. So where am I going to find another pair now?

I think the main problem is my unfamiliarity with the torque wrench. I tried to go religiously by the specs in the shop manual, setting my cheap wrench at whatever numbers they gave. At first I blamed my wrench and went online to investigate better ones, and here I think I see where I went wrong: it looks as if most consumer-grade wrenches are not designed to go below 5 foot pounds. Maybe the expensive ones at the Nissan factory can go into the tiny fractions of a foot-pound, but I'm wondering if, for the average home mechanic, any number below five should just translate to :"until it feels tight enough".

Edited by emanistan
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Click or beam type? I find the click type need to be calibrated. With a luggage scale you can check for this. Set for 50 ft lbs and pull using the scale to see what it reads when it clicks. Hell for $100 you can get electronic ones that you can fit to your torque wrench to check it or to turn your ratchet or johnson bar onto a torque wrench. 

• Like 2

If you're using a big torque wrench(1/2" drive) that has something like a 25-250lb limit, it's only going to be most accurate between 100 and 200.....there's no way it can do 5lb.  Convert it to inch pounds.....60 and use a smaller(1/4" drive) torque wrench.  Just did a quick google search....$40 will get you a 20-200 inch pound 1/4" drive click style torque wrench.

• Like 2

If you can determine the length. I have a whole bunch of 10mm headed bolts.  If you are talking 10mm diameter bolts I have a bunch of those also.  Shoot me the diameter, length and thread pitch and I will check.   Corona Virus Special FREE!  LOL

I save all the bolts I pull at home and in the junk yards.  I carry a bucket with tools in it in the yards and I pull nuts bolts washers They go in the bucket.  Entry fee equalizer!  LOL

• Like 3
On 3/22/2020 at 9:48 PM, Charlie69 said:

I save all the bolts I pull at home and in the junk yards.  I carry a bucket with tools in it in the yards and I pull nuts bolts washers They go in the bucket.  Entry fee equalizer!  LOL

I do exactly the same.  It seems that every time I need to find a bolt, the right one is always at the hardware store.....

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Sorry It's taken me a while to respond: it's been a busy week. You folks can't imagine the envy I have for those of you who have a lifetime of mechanical knowledge. Stupid newb mistake number 999: I didn't know till now that there were inch-pound and foot-pound wrenches. I just ordered one of each.  Datzenmike, I was using a cheap clicker model from Harbor Freight. I figure I'll use torque wrenches a lot in the future, and luckily I'm much richer these days than when I started this project, so I went ahead and ordered two good quality Craftsman wrenches.

Charlie69, if your offer is still valid, I'll take advantage. I'll email you.

• Like 1

This is what they call, "The learning curve."  Don't sweat the small stuff, as we have all been there before.  Can't tell you how many bolt heads I've busted off on Gixxer heads.  Or stripped out and had to tape new ones.  I have Craftsman TQ wrenches and they have been good to me so far.  Keep your head up and it will work out.

At least now, we have the internet and forums like this to ask questions.  Back a while ago, there were books and hot rod shows.  Or, a really nice older fella that would impart knowledge to ya.  Either way, how ever you learn.....It's all good and the most important thing is...….You are doing it yourself!!!

• Like 2