Thread size for the oil sender and temp sender

Charlie69

Trying to find out the thread size of the oil pressure sender and the temp sender.  A friend of mine is trying to install after market gauges and need to find adapters to fit the after market gauges.

Is Nissan still using British thread size on the blocks like on the L motors or are they metric?  If metric when was the change and what is the thread size?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BSPT

T= taper

The water temp sender. Is that the same on a Z24 as on an L motor? I believe it is 16mm x 1.5 or something like that. I used to use the collar that held the sender in place and stuff a washer in behind the new sender to make it a snug fit. Aftermarket senders always seem to be shorter, but the same OD on both ends.

• Like 1

For some reason the set of gauges Alex bought has a sender nipple that is 2 times as long as the stock temp sender, this might have to do with it being a manual gauge instead of electric.

What I need:

oil sender tube 1/8" compression fitting to the male size of the oil sender to screw into the block.  I believe the z24 block oil sender hole is tapped 1/8 BSTP

Water manual gauge sender 3/8" NPT female to the thread size that is in the intake manifold male.

Alex is a neighbor of mine that has a towing service and helps when I need it so I am trying to locate the fittings to install these gauges.

Strof are you saying that the water sender thread is metric?

Edited by Charlie69

The engine block temperature sender on my RL411 was SAE thread.  The same part on the 1968 510 was metric.  So I bought a 510 sender, tossed the metric collar and reused the SAE collar from my engine.  Who  needs a drill and re-tap when you are lazy or clever?  Yes, the actual "capsule was the same.

If you go to an auto parts store and look at the after market gauges section you will find a BTS to SAE adapter that works just fine for the oi pressure sensor or idiot light.

• Like 1

Been to 16 auto parts her in Phoenix area and none of the parts counter people here even know what British threads are.  Had one in an O'reilys today where Alex purchased the gauge kit tell us that the 2 adapters in the gauge package convert to fit every vehicle out in the world.  I laughed.

Charlie if your feeling lucky you could always retap the 1/8 bspt to 1/8 npt....

Im not gonna try to explain the math but It does work and is ok to do.... 

You just need to chase the treads with the npt tap.... use some grease to collect the chips and go slow, cleaning the chips off.... then I use the gauges fitting to see if I've tapped deep enough...

• Like 1

That is a great idea thank you.  Are you saying that you do not need to drill before tapping to 1/8" NPT?  I might try this on a junk block I have in my scrap pile.  Not my engine so I will not tap.  I run mostly Datsun/Nissan parts on my trucks.

Found fittings yesterday to do the water temp sender at an Ace Hardware Store.  Going to a different Ace today that has the largest assortment of automotive hardware in the Phoenix area.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

Basically yes..I did this to my block so I know from personal experience...

If you try to screw an npt into a bspt you get about one thread engagement.... so there is material for the tap, and when you compare them the drilled hole are similar but the npt tap threads are just a little different than the bspt so you will be cutting all new threads... i dont know how to explain it better.... all I know is it works...I've also done similar at work retapping a 3/4-10 hole to an m20.... 

• Like 1

why risk a motor  block to a novice machinist

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2269

read the reviews  have a Sr20 in there

However I think the price is too much as i got mine for like 4.99 a pc years ago for a hardware store

I went back to the stock sender as My line busted twice already and sience its a newer motor and don't burn oil I used the stock wire.

My 521 I put a new Autometer Made in USA line. Done use those cheap Chinese  plastic lines at all they will overtime get brittle and crack. so keep a stock sender in vehicle if one a long road trip and catch a oil pressure issue.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Basically yes..I did this to my block so I know from personal experience...

If you try to screw an npt into a bspt you get about one thread engagement.... so there is material for the tap, and when you compare them the drilled hole are similar but the npt tap threads are just a little different than the bspt so you will be cutting all new threads... i dont know how to explain it better.... all I know is it works...I've also done similar at work retapping a 3/4-10 hole to an m20.... 

4 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

That is a great idea thank you.  Are you saying that you do not need to drill before tapping to 1/8" NPT?  I might try this on a junk block I have in my scrap pile.  Not my engine so I will not tap.  I run mostly Datsun/Nissan parts on my trucks.

Found fittings yesterday to do the water temp sender at an Ace Hardware Store.  Going to a different Ace today that has the largest assortment of automotive hardware in the Phoenix area.

I've done this many times. Use grease to catch the chips, go in a turn, remove the tap, clean it, re-grease it, do again. Check fitment and repeat as required.

• Like 2

Thank you gentlemen I appreciate the help.  I found the oil pressure adapter fitting for $2 each from MSC online.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/60041613?&cid=ppc-google-New+-+Hose%2C+Tube%2C+Fittings+%26+Valves+-+PLA_sB9HDLura___164124449255_c_S&mkwid=sB9HDLura|dc&pcrid=164124449255&rd=k&product_id=60041613&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-er_NC06AIVaR6tBh3ZDAPuEAQYAyABEgJdwvD_BwE

I ordered 3 of them and it came to $20 with tax and shipping.  I will report back when I get these fittings and see if they actually work.

The fittings for the water temp did not work as the manual temp sender tip does not protrude into the block so I am guessing water is not surrounding the tip so it reads cold air blocked, might be possible to loosen the fitting and let the air bleed out.

I am not actually doing the work or doing the search for the fittings in town Alex is.  His mechanical and parts knowledge is limited, he is just a good person.

I will let you all know what I find that will work for both operations.

I thank you for your replies and help.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1