THE L16 OFFROAD BUGGY IS NEARLY RUNNING

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea sweet, ill try get a video on here of where the coolant (water?) was pissin out of, i thought of tightening the exhaust/intake bolts but i dont know how it would get into the pistons though cos the head gasket was perfectly lined up and when i got the feeler gauges and straight edge out the head wasn't warped, . 

ill order a new exhaust/intake gasket and when i put it on get some of that potties surface and use a thin layer of that on each side. still dont know where the exhaust flange gakset goes though.

gonna call over my mechanic mate on the weekend who actually knows what hes doin and see what he reckons is the problem.

You reading what we wrote?

if you try to start this motor most likely sucked up the water via the intake being loose or not start the motor it just found it’s way in there Via cracks since intake was loose

be honest maybe this head is fucked from the start we don’t know you really need to spend some money and maybe get it check if buggy was good before parked maybe still good and the head gasket was bad when you was running it.but the photo of the water pump shows it to me it wasn’t run So tell us from the beginning this story

Be honest I hope your friend is better at this than you 

I would get the 1/4 pipe plug and the 1/4 inch is the tool but the thread is 9/16-12 I think so don’t get confused.he will know hopefully

get a new Japan made water pump
have your friend read all of this

Water is right there among the intake and exhaust ports and runs downhill into the cylinders through any that are open.

06DJ3jY.jpg

You have a stock L16 cast iron exhaust use the double hole gasket second in from the right bottom)between it and the down pipe.

The one above that is for a '79 and '80 L20B thermostat gasket

The top and bottom far right are for the fuel pump (if used)

Second one in from the left bottom is the thermostat gasket.

Bottom left is the thermostat housing to head gasket

Top left blue/green one is for the cover plate on the front of the head.

• Thanks 1

@banzai510(hainz)

the story goes...

got the buggy in 2013

took out bush couple of times

4 year ago took it out for a spin, it overheated and found coolant in oil (hence why i was replacing head gasket)

it then sat in a shed since a couple weeks ago when i started ripping it apart

im gonna stop posting shit here til saturday when im actually at the buggy and not having to worry about teachers telling me off for being "off topic"

cheers really appreciate it fellas speak to ya soon

When you took the head off you needed to check the head gasket to see maybe where the failure was

Sometimes when a gasket goes out it will suck water in and a piston will be clean

or sometime it blows into the crank case I guess.

however you need to check out the front cover to see if it has pits or holes in the front cover  a tiny hole behind the water pump and water drains in the oil pan.If you WATCHED the First part of the video you see the front cover cavitated for not changing out the antifreeze.50/50 fix. Never run straight water

i had my front cover up to a light and saw tony holes like a termite went thru it

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-02471

this is a pipe plug

you might not need the drill in the kit as the Datsun water passage hole size is already perfect size and just the threaded tap is all that is needed

make sure you get the correct drill and tape set for these. Im not positive if the size. 1/4 inch really means the hex size not the threaed pitch or size of hole needed to drill if at all   link on beloew then go to reviews and you see how its done. notice on the threaded tape if you look closely its tapered.  7/16 is the correct size. If in dought how to do it find a 1/4 aluminum plate and practice for that first

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drill-America-1-4-in-Carbon-Steel-NPT-Pipe-Tap-and-7-16-in-High-Speed-Steel-Drill-Bit-Set-2-Piece-POU1-4NPTW-DRILL/304750419

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
5 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-02471

this is a pipe plug

you might not need the drill in the kit as the Datsun water passage hole size is already perfect size and just the threaded tap is all that is needed

make sure you get the correct drill and tape set for these. Im not positive if the size. 1/4 inch really means the hex size not the threaed pitch or size of hole needed to drill if at all   link on beloew then go to reviews and you see how its done. notice on the threaded tape if you look closely its tapered.  7/16 is the correct size. If in dought how to do it find a 1/4 aluminum plate and practice for that first

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drill-America-1-4-in-Carbon-Steel-NPT-Pipe-Tap-and-7-16-in-High-Speed-Steel-Drill-Bit-Set-2-Piece-POU1-4NPTW-DRILL/304750419

And put lots of grease in the flutes of the tap otherwise you will introduce a lot of chips into your engine.  Wipe and re-grease as you tap.  Grease is cheap, engine blocks and water pumps are not.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:38 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

If you ever get this running I would carry 2jugs of water till you know this is not a leaker and hope it least 3 core rad with fans

always have spare alternator bolts or have spares parts for that.Most Early L16 s had smaller bolts as they can busy

THIS! i had the early mount on the truck i had and the alternator would fall off every couple months.

I've always wanted an L powered buggy.What transmission is in that thing ? It looks like what we call "mid engine" here in the states.Maybe a VW bus tranny with an adapter ? And good luck getting it going.That's just about the easiest engine to work on ever made.Edit,after watching that video again i realized that's not a mid engine.

Edited by john510

righto ive read over this thread several times now and finally understand what you mob are saying

what gaskets do you guys recommend?

found an Endurotec set (which is what i originally put on but ive heard people say they're shit + its made of a felt like material) for $36

https://www.autosurplus.com.au/head-gasket-for-nissan-datsun-1600-180b-200b-blueb~19320

OR 

i found an identical metal 'Monotorque' head gasket to the original that was on there for years for $27

https://www.autosurplus.com.au/head-gasket-for-nissan-datsun-1600-180b-200b-blueb~11962

and a 'viper performance' double faced steel exhaust/intake gasket for $18

https://www.performanceexhaust.com.au/p/Nissan-Other/NISSAN-1600-180B-200B-L16-L18-L20-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD/DSF015

just wanted to see what the professionals recommend

Rightyo

New gaskets are here

Which way does the manifold gasket go? There's a flat side and a rounded side, guessing flat side to head?

Also should I get some RTV sealant to go on either side of manifold gasket? It was in there when I took it apart so just triple checking

Cheers fellas

Can't see that it would matter what side faces outwards.

Are the two surfaces clean and smooth??? Then dry gasket, just like it was built with. If surfaces are badly scratched, nicked or eroded then a thin (and I mean THIN) smear of RTV to fill the imperfections. The gasket's job is to crush into small imperfections and seal. Only place I've used that stuff is where the block, timing cover and oil pan meet and then only a dab.

Alright Ive tried cranking it over but the fucker won't start, it cranks but doesn't start, were getting sparks to plugs, coil etc

Was cranking and spraying aerostart down into the intakes but nothing. Also shorted the fuel pump straight to the battery but didn't do anything (new fuel pump I'm guessing)

But yea what can I do? Really want to hear her goin