z22 grounds

mikecaleb

Ive got a z22 weber 32/26 swapped in a 86 nissan hardbody. It turns over pretty slow and will try to run for a split second. Im thinking i may have some ground issues. Does anyone know the grounding locations? Currently there is one ran from the battery to intake, motor to frame, frame to chassis.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying the starter turns the engine over slowly????

First clean your battery terminals and cable clamp ends, Check the ground on the intake is clean and tight. Check the positive cable on the starter is clean and tight. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Borrow a charger for the night and try again in the morning... any better?

No? Us jumper cables to use a second known good battery in another vehicle. If this fixes the problem maybe your battery is just old.

• Like 1

If everything clean and tight and jumping from a good battery fails to speed it up this leaves the starter. But don't go out buying a starter or new battery till confirmed. It gets expensive throwing parts at a vehicle. A new battery won't fix a bad starter.

• Like 1

I never realized it till earlier while doing some research but the z22 is supposed to have a clamp on distributor cap and a different style rotor. I have the later style on there as of right now. Is this going to cause issues?

Edited by mikecaleb
  • Like 1

I know that. It had caught my attention earlier and just figured id ask.

I was out looking at the truck earlier and there is an obvious ground that i somehow left out/overlooked. The battery is not being grounded to the body. It has a battery to motor, motor to frame and the little one on the firewall. The front clip is also grounded to the frame with a little strap. I got a little wire running from the distributor adjusting bolt to the timing cover too just in case

Edited by mikecaleb
  • Like 1

Measuring voltage does nothing. You could have 6 hearing aid batteries that read 12 v but it wouldn't turn the starter.

Jump start from another vehicle. This eliminates your battery, charged or not.

Turns slow still....

Ground cable on intake is loose or corroded

Positive cable on starter is loose or corroded

Starter is bad.

Starter bolts are loose.

Turns faster....

Your battery is not taking a charge

Your charging system is at fault

Your battery is bad.

While the frame and the body need to be grounded the starter is grounded through the transmission to the engine to the head to the intake and through the negative battery cable to the negative battery post. Body ground does not affect this.

• Like 1

Im aware of that also. Just throwing it out there. That ground is for the lights and whatnot in the front  This aint the stock wiring harness. It's a painless performance universal kit. Everything works as it should so far besides for the slow turn over issue.

• Like 1

Ok I don’t think this would be the Painless wire harness but this is good to know for later issues .

however the the starter turning over as you say it’s weak. The selinoid must be working as you say the starter is turning over.if the selinoid wire has a weak voltage the selinoid would most likely go click click click. but if you MUST you can pull the starter wire on selinoid and just put a wire from plus side battery to the selinoid tab and it will turn over bypassing the key.

maybe click the battery at the starter post in case a crack cable or post

the ground cable should be on the head or some times I seen on the starter bolt.That should be good enough.the other small grounds would not pertain as most likely they would melt if it was looking for a ground 

how old battery?

replace batt cables

replace battery 

replace or check starter

• Like 1