1964 320 Performance Build

Largepapa3

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually working on a weld on frame side bracket for the early trucks to allow an L-Series motor mounts. 

This would allow bolt up L-Series, KA or SR. Not sure what the steering and crossmembers look like on the L320 though. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

I am actually working on a weld on frame side bracket for the early trucks to allow an L-Series motor mounts. 

This would allow bolt up L-Series, KA or SR. Not sure what the steering and crossmembers look like on the L320 though. 

Will you be selling this?  I saw a post in another thread but it went dark with a guy doing an SR swap.  I want to avoid moving the firewall back if possible. 

• Like 1

Probably not do-able without firewall mods. I have owned a couple 320s so I know how tight they are.

Other areas of concern are the steering and torsion bars. The frame is narrow, and thus, so is the space between the torsion bars. The crossmember that holds the rear end of the torsion bars is also problematic and would need mods to fit the length of the new trans. Hard to do and maintain the strength needed for torsion bars. To avoid all this, ditch the torsion bars altogether and run a coil or coilover.

The steering box and idler arm are mounted to the inside of the 320 frame, which makes interference for things like alternator or power steering or A/C pumps. One way to combat this is to swap in a 720 style steering, which mounts the box and idler arm outside the frame rails. You will undoubtedly run into steering geometry problems if you still want to use the 320 control arms, so an entire front suspension swap would be the best solution. Another advantage to the 720 steering box is the exposed steering shaft (as opposed to the box mounted column of the earlier Datsuns), which means you can route the shaft around important components with the use of joints.

I have done a 720 front suspension swap on a 320, and it was a bit of work. You can see that thread here on Ratsun - https://ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

If you are up for a challenge, and are a good (or even decent) fabricator, this would be fun. If you're not good at melting metal together, I wouldn't bother. Unless you want to pay someone for the work. If that's on the table, give me a call.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Largepapa3 said:

Will you be selling this?  I saw a post in another thread but it went dark with a guy doing an SR swap.  I want to avoid moving the firewall back if possible. 

Hope to, I think you will still be cutting the firewall. 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I have had a L20b longblock and short trans sitting in a L320 on wood spacing blocks.

The L20b is a lot longer than the E1 and would need some firewall work and possibly the radiator and core support cut and finding a way to fit electric fans.

and a custom trans tunnel as the stock trans is a lot smalller. That was on a floor shitf 320.

I decided not to chop up the truck that way.

• Like 4