My 1970 Dime

Almost got her last year, but a series of fortunate and unfortunate events happened and now I'm the proud owner! 

Told it's got a L18 block with L16 head, bigger cam with a Weber. Pretty fun and fast enough with stock brakes. 

IMG-20200307-151142.jpg

Future plans are to just drive and enjoy it this summer, then save up some money and throw some twistedimages airbag suspension at her 👌

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look behind the dipstick handle just below the head. There's a raised flat boss with the engine size stamped there.

fb9yF51.jpg

The head ID is on the bottom edge of the head on the right side just below/behind the fuel pump between plug #1 and #2. Should say 210 if an L16 head. L18s are usually A87.

210 head...

8NbyZve.jpg

Just went down to the parking garage and had a look, L18 block with a W58 head. 

Cheers for the info, from what I can gather from my buddy I bought it off, is that I'm either for 4th or 5th owner. He unfortunately was facing some visa issues and decided to sell it to me! But the owner before him had it for like 30 years and bought it off his highschool friend. 

• Like 2

Nice & welcome!  W58 cyl head should be a big valve, big port, although considered an emission head (don't worry about that!).  What carburetion?  If a single downdraft carb, whether OEM Hitachi or a Weber 32/36............wonder which intake manifold is on it?  Rear "runner", look for the casting #.......likely W46 or W58.  W46 is a small port to the cyl head, so would be smaller than the big port on the cyl head itself...........not ideal, but NOT a bad thing.  W58 is a big port to the cyl head, so would be a big port intake, which should match the big port on the cylinder head itself.  Hope that makes sense!

TJ 

• Like 1

L18 with W58 head is good. 

I have a W57 intake and the ports are 29.8mm. I only have L20Bs around and this isn't from a U67 head as it does have the water cooled runners. Does also have EGR.

I have a W58 intake and the ports are 34.5mm.... almost 3/16" larger!!!

Small intake runners would favor low/mid range torque because of the higher air speed.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

L18 with W58 head is good. 

I have a W57 intake and the ports are 29.8mm. I only have L20Bs around and this isn't from a U67 head as it does have the water cooled runners. Does also have EGR.

I have a W58 intake and the ports are 34.5mm.... almost 3/16" larger!!!

Small intake runners would favor low/mid range torque because of the higher air speed.

I had a quick look at the intake last night, has A35 stamped on it.. or it might of been 53... I've always loved datsuns but never got into the engine and gearbox side of things so still a bit of a novice when it comes to that. 

My truck has a L20b with a U67 head I believe but would have to check the numbers again to be sure. The 510 feels faster though. 

Found 2 U67 intakes one was marked U67 the other had shit in the way but probably the same. Had the large W58 sized ports.

The U67 isn't much good. It has a large hole in the bottom under the carburetor for hot exhaust warming and no coolant runners.