Belltech lowering blocks for '83 720

ShutterMeShort

So I've been shopping for lowering block kits for my 1983 720.  

Belltech doesn't list one for the 1983.  The 1984 calls out for the #6100 kit.  The u-bolts in the 6100 kit are correct as far as 3" spread but I wanted to make sure the length is correct.  I'm seeing that they need to be about 8" long and a 1/2" bolt

Can anyone confirm the right kit number for 2" blocks for an '83 or the u-bolt size/length in the Beltech 6100 kit?

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both years 2wd use the same axle and the only difference I can think of is an extra helper spring on the '84 that would need a longer U bolt length. This may be the difference. Slightly too long would work, too short won't.

• Like 1

Good to know.

Mine has two full length springs and one short one on the bottom.  2WD.    The bolts I compared and measured up at Napa were 1x2" x 8" long with a 3" spread.

I'm pretty sure the 6100 kit is correct, just worried about the bolt length.  I'm also seeing a bunch of people saying the Belltech u-bolts are crap and like to break.  

• Like 1

This is true. Any raising or lowering will upset the driveshaft angles and introduce vibration. What ever you do get a gauge for this, they aren't expensive and then shim to get it exact.

pinion_angle_rear_measure.JPG

My 710 was vibrating (more of a groan) and I didn't notice it till I got rid of it. What a difference!!!

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Okay, this has taken forever to get around to but a lot has been happening!  Many pics to come.

3" napa blocks with a 2 degree shim, U-bolts from sdtrucksprings.com (thanks Crash), and Beltech drop spindles, and Procomp wheels. 🙂  New shocks all the way around and new brake lines as well.  As a note, the Beltech 5456 sway bar does NOT fit the 720 even though it is listed under the vehicle selection. 😞 Hardbody only.

And thank you all for your help!

7wYTKcP.jpg

qLla4qT.jpg

FfnArZv.jpg

JXj78fR.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 3/15/2020 at 2:39 PM, datzenmike said:

Both years 2wd use the same axle and the only difference I can think of is an extra helper spring on the '84 that would need a longer U bolt length. This may be the difference. Slightly too long would work, too short won't.

Centering bolt holes shift about 2 1/4" from early 80 to 83 springs to late 84 to 86 springs.  Later springs the axle is pushed to the rear more.

Next time I buy early 720 leaf springs I will take a picture with the early and late springs lined up to gether.