Two Different Relays For Datsun 510 Headlights?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

X2 what yenpit said.

I have bought at least 2 of their kits. As well as the "poke" and crimping tool.

Well worth the money as almost all of the connectors on my cars were very brittle.

• Like 1

Yenpit thanks for the info on the connections.... 

While I would love to help by trying to produce them I don't even have a 510 to test it with to make sure I'm making it properly and I have no personal need for it.... 

I'd rather just put the info out that someone can use and others can follow... somebody like yourself would be better off making these....

• Like 1

The plug is the very common 6 "slot" that can take up to 6 terminals, male-female push together plug, used on other various components ie the voltage regulator!  Of course, you can also fill only 4 or 5 "slots" with terminals, does not matter to the plug!  My 1972 521 will use this same 6 terminal plug, but I will only have 4 terminals filled..........2 on each end.   

• Like 1
On 3/22/2020 at 6:29 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

So more or less you can use a old volt reg connector cut the wire right at the Can and use the wire to plug in the black box relay

Just note the colors on the female connector and you got it

i got the 521 relay figured out now also if needed 

Hainz, is the 521 wired like this "late" style 510 or different?  I think DanielC mapped out one of these relays for the 521................I just haven't done it yet!  Hoping to get the truck in the shop, now that business has unfortunately slowed down.........

A relay is a relay but it setup almost in the opposite fashion 

in the 521 case make                      

30    (+12 volts)                                   RED         

87a  would be low (ground) NC.      RB

87   would be high (ground) NO.      RW
86   (+12volts).   Short to 30                               

85  (ground)  From turn signal          RY                     

pin 30 your going to put Have to put 2 wires in the female connector or use a piggyback jumper sold in auto stores then a short loop wire to pin 86

The 521 doesn’t have the same relay problems as the 510.   
 I never had a problem in the 20yrs I owned my truck

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • 6 months later...
On 3/22/2020 at 5:42 PM, slim_jimmy7 said:

newrelay1.jpgnewrelay2.jpg

I didn't get to the store in time to get the blades that would allow me to use the old connector, I will try to do that this week.  Moved on to polishing bumpers after this.

Nice job, I’m in the middle of trying to resolve this issue too. Do you have any photos that show where which wire went to which on the connector side?

Thanks!

Hey guys I've made a batch of these up again. I made them after driving some friends home in the 4 door 510 and the lights went out on me. Managed to bang the relay and get them going again but it was not an experience I wanted to relive lol.  I rebuilt the relay but there is something much more comforting about having and extra standard bosch style relay in the glove box as a spare 🙂

Necessity is the mother of invention as the saying goes lol....

On 3/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, yenpit said:

Hainz, is the 521 wired like this "late" style 510 or different?  I think DanielC mapped out one of these relays for the 521................I just haven't done it yet!  Hoping to get the truck in the shop, now that business has unfortunately slowed down.........

I made up a relay adapter for my 521 as well... it's actually a little less complicated than the 510 setup.  At least the 510 and the 521 had relays.... for some reason the 240Z nevermhad a relay - just a mass of connectors and all the current going through the column switch.... not good...

7 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

510 is toatally different than521 It  is reverse

I drew it out and have the drawing I made at home.

510 is switchable ground  521 is switchable POWER

So the 521 is switch to power AND half SAE hardware, half metric??  What have I gotten myself into?? 😆

Just found out Saturday that some schlub used the wrong bolts to mount the radiator in...........basically forced them into the captive nuts on the rad core support.  One is so stripped now, it is stuck. 

On 10/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, FricFrac said:

Hey guys I've made a batch of these up again. I made them after driving some friends home in the 4 door 510 and the lights went out on me. Managed to bang the relay and get them going again but it was not an experience I wanted to relive lol.  I rebuilt the relay but there is something much more comforting about having and extra standard bosch style relay in the glove box as a spare 🙂

Necessity is the mother of invention as the saying goes lol....

You selling the updated relay "kit"? 😎