W58 head

zrex

My 620 was puking coolant out the exhaust. Pulled the head expecting a blown head gasket, gasket looked good however. Cleaned the head and block surfaces and put in a new gasket. 30 seconds after start up clouds of coolant again. Pulled the head off again used a machinist straight edge to measure flatness of the head. A couple of things there’s a small crack between the valves on #3 and between cylinder numbers 2 and 3 I’m measuring a 6 thousandths valley. This is on my 78 so I still need to smog every 2 years. I have a real good A87 in the garage, will the A87 head without those steal liners work with those  exhaust tubes? Another question is that crack a game over for the W58 head ? Not a large crack it’s a hair line but clearly visible.. 

thanks for any input 

• Like 2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was burning coolant and you changed the gasket it could take over 20 min of running to clear all the water out of the exhaust pipe. Certainly I would have confirmed that it is using coolant before taking it apart again. All engines have some 'cracks' if you look close enough. You may have fixed it the first time.

• Like 2

I didn't think of that either, it may have been coolant from the first blown headgasket, but you would have been loosing coolant if it still leaked the second head gasket, if the coolant level didn't drop then the second head gasket might have been alright.

If the head is off I would get an opinion from someone at a machine shop that you trust that knows about cracks.

• Like 2

i had that same problem on my L18  it was leaking between #2 and #3  above oil filter come to find out the machine shop milled the head wrong/ to much

Edited by gene knight
  • Like 1