2012 camry warped rotors

First off, i know its not a datsun. But hey, whatcha gonna do. My commuter has a badly warped rotor. I suspect partially due to the fact that one of the calipers is a bit wonky. I know this because the last brake job i did i found one of the pins was stuck. I freed it and lubed it in hopes that that would suffice.

My question is, can a warped rotor cause vibrations when your NOT using the brakes. The car, at certain speeds and or near freeway speed or higher has a shimmy/shake that seems to kinda get worse with speed, and its like a wave. It comes on fairly strong then goes away, then returns.. i also suspect maybe a bad shock/strut...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say no to the rotor.

I would raise the wheels off the ground and spin them by hand, looking at the tread. Do they spin straight or does the wheel tread seem to wobble? Also carefully spin the tire and hold you hand carefully on the tread. Are there any humps/bumps? 

rotors can give you that feeling to some extent ,, very slight most times ,, not severe wobble type action 

Just replaced rears on my minivan because of humping tread.. It had tread bumping up and down at least 1/2 inch .. it came and went at different speeds.. humping enough at about 55 I pulled off road thinking lug nuts might be loose

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

rotors can give you that feeling to some extent ,, very slight most times ,, not severe wobble type action 

Just replaced rears on my minivan because of humping tread.. It had tread bumping up and down at least 1/2 inch .. it came and went at different speeds.. humping enough at about 55 I pulled off road thinking lug nuts might be loose

I wouldnt say its severe, but its bad. Ill take mikes advice, and lift the front this weekend and take a look see.. i do plan to replace the caliper, and turn the rotors... 

55 minutes ago, bananahamuck said:

Had a bump on an old rear tire the size of my palm. It vibrated but really noticeable as you roll to stop. It was a side to side wiggle slowing to a stop

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Had a bump on an old rear tire the size of my palm. It vibrated but really noticeable as you roll to stop. It was a side to side wiggle slowing to a stop

the tires I had on back of 510 ( eventually on 411) were bought in 80s for my Mazda rx4 and when those started getting more and more miles , it got to feel like a tractor when coming to a stop ,,, haha 

when we drove to Canby or up to Vancouver I put my winter tires on for most of drive and installed fattys about 2-3 miles out to roll in on . 

• 2 weeks later...

Rotors will only give you a pulsing in the brake pedal and feel like your riding on bumps.  Again, only when brake pedal is applied.  Tire balance?  Bad bearings? Suspension issue?

On 3/12/2020 at 4:47 PM, 510revisited said:

First off, i know its not a datsun. But hey, whatcha gonna do. My commuter has a badly warped rotor. I suspect partially due to the fact that one of the calipers is a bit wonky. I know this because the last brake job i did i found one of the pins was stuck. I freed it and lubed it in hopes that that would suffice.

My question is, can a warped rotor cause vibrations when your NOT using the brakes. The car, at certain speeds and or near freeway speed or higher has a shimmy/shake that seems to kinda get worse with speed, and its like a wave. It comes on fairly strong then goes away, then returns.. i also suspect maybe a bad shock/strut...

Please don't think I'm trying to be an ass...

I have no idea what is what or what your car actually is doing ....in person.....so im writing info down below...

Do the simple things that don't cost anything first..... K.I.S.S

Firstly....some people will complain about a very small small thing happening as a symptom to their car.....while others like..... nanners..... will mob down the freeway with broken belts on all 4 of his tires eating cotton candy not giving a shot Cuz.....datsun.....

How many miles on the car ???

How much money or maintenance or work does the car truly receive r??? (Be honedt)

How do you KNOW it has a badly warped rotor ??? 

I don't see any mentioning of torque-ing the wheels correctly...or what torque you set them to.....

I use to work on"maintain a fleet of Isuzu of Isuzu nor diesel trucks.....torque the wheels unevenly....they'd let you know....while driving....

I can't count the number of times someone would tighten a wheel without a torque wrench and think they did nothing wrong.....

I've seen people torque wheel nuts up to what feels like 150ft lbs on two lug nuts and the rest about 80-100 ft lbs....on passenger cars.....that.... can slightly funk up the feel of the car alone.....whilst driving....

When is the last time the car had its aljgnment/ball joints/etc inspected ?

If tire wear is uneven....or tires nearing replacement at the end of life can cause issues....

Did you hit something such as a curb or pothole with the car ???

Do any of the tires have some budge anywhere on the tires ???

Do you have a broken belt in the tire ???

Bent rim ???

When's the last time the tire balance was checked...?

Tires nearing the end of their life will feel differenthe than new tires.....

Not ALL tires are created equal ....when new especially......

Some are not the greatest.... from the beginning and make it tough on the installer to balance perfectly

Replaced shocks at all ?

Inspect related while there

Cv-joints...?inboard and outboard joints on the cv-joints.....have you inspected them ???

Cv-joints can be calm and quiet then snap ....?cause vibrations or clicking whilst driving.... 

Look under the car...?Is there a torn boot or grease flung everywhere on the undercarriage/suspension area ??

Check the wheel bearings lately ???

Definitely look at those or test/look for symptoms  if you have the ability......

Wheel bearings (or related tlo) can cause issues......

Wheel bearings.....I've done a few on Toyota cars and trucks......

Lastly.....

Also....you have a TSB out for transmission issues for 2012-2014 camrys....

Toyota is citing your car ecm has a glitch , and the torque converter/clutch/related items can have issues

5-year / 60,000 miles it's covered allegedly.....

If you truly think this is the case....or is related... get your documentation done at the dealership and the ballike rolling on them reprogramming your car,  and/or if your lucky fixing the torque converter issue for free.....if you're lucky !

I'd probably carefully lookup all TSB'set on your vehicle...document and save the numbers.....

Both my wife's 2010 corolla and my 2016 tundra use the WS Toyota atf......

Personal opinion......I change mine.....drain and fill.....about every 10,000 miles....15,000 miles at most....

Toyota says it's a lifetime fluid.....I don't believe it.....but have seen a few go on the fluid without maintenance for a long time.....

Again..... I just like to change my fluid.....as maintenance.....

Check what you can yourself before going to the dealership and getting charged for it......

Got any pics ??

Edited by I'm BLUE
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, I'm BLUE said:

Please don't think I'm trying to be an ass...

I have no idea what is what or what your car actually is doing ....in person.....so im writing info down below...

Do the simple things that don't cost anything first..... K.I.S.S

Firstly....some people will complain about a very small small thing happening as a symptom to their car.....while others like..... nanners..... will mob down the freeway with broken belts on all 4 of his tires eating cotton candy not giving a shot Cuz.....datsun.....

How many miles on the car ???

How much money or maintenance or work does the car truly receive r??? (Be honedt)

How do you KNOW it has a badly warped rotor ??? 

I don't see any mentioning of torque-ing the wheels correctly...or what torque you set them to.....

I use to work on"maintain a fleet of Isuzu of Isuzu nor diesel trucks.....torque the wheels unevenly....they'd let you know....while driving....

I can't count the number of times someone would tighten a wheel without a torque wrench and think they did nothing wrong.....

I've seen people torque wheel nuts up to what feels like 150ft lbs on two lug nuts and the rest about 80-100 ft lbs....on passenger cars.....that.... can slightly funk up the feel of the car alone.....whilst driving....

When is the last time the car had its aljgnment/ball joints/etc inspected ?

If tire wear is uneven....or tires nearing replacement at the end of life can cause issues....

Did you hit something such as a curb or pothole with the car ???

Do any of the tires have some budge anywhere on the tires ???

Do you have a broken belt in the tire ???

Bent rim ???

When's the last time the tire balance was checked...?

Tires nearing the end of their life will feel differenthe than new tires.....

Not ALL tires are created equal ....when new especially......

Some are not the greatest.... from the beginning and make it tough on the installer to balance perfectly

Replaced shocks at all ?

Inspect related while there

Cv-joints...?inboard and outboard joints on the cv-joints.....have you inspected them ???

Cv-joints can be calm and quiet then snap ....?cause vibrations or clicking whilst driving.... 

Look under the car...?Is there a torn boot or grease flung everywhere on the undercarriage/suspension area ??

Check the wheel bearings lately ???

Definitely look at those or test/look for symptoms  if you have the ability......

Wheel bearings (or related tlo) can cause issues......

Wheel bearings.....I've done a few on Toyota cars and trucks......

Lastly.....

Also....you have a TSB out for transmission issues for 2012-2014 camrys....

Toyota is citing your car ecm has a glitch , and the torque converter/clutch/related items can have issues

5-year / 60,000 miles it's covered allegedly.....

If you truly think this is the case....or is related... get your documentation done at the dealership and the ballike rolling on them reprogramming your car,  and/or if your lucky fixing the torque converter issue for free.....if you're lucky !

I'd probably carefully lookup all TSB'set on your vehicle...document and save the numbers.....

Both my wife's 2010 corolla and my 2016 tundra use the WS Toyota atf......

Personal opinion......I change mine.....drain and fill.....about every 10,000 miles....15,000 miles at most....

Toyota says it's a lifetime fluid.....I don't believe it.....but have seen a few go on the fluid without maintenance for a long time.....

Again..... I just like to change my fluid.....as maintenance.....

Check what you can yourself before going to the dealership and getting charged for it......

Got any pics ??

Wow, thanks for all the info. I had the car up on stands yesterday doing an alternator replacement. Damn thing went out yesterday morning out of nowhere. What a pain in the ass that was. I only half looked things over, but i noticed the control arm bushings look a little crappy. Lots of little cracks. Tires are getting down to the wear bar. Definitely needs an alignment. I dont think ive hit anything. 130k on the odo. Had the car for 3 ish years. Bought it with 60k. Didnt check the bearings, cv axles, or any steering stuff. Im not the best with the car maintenance. Could be way better. Im positive the rotors are warped cause it shakes in the pedal when i hit the brakes. And ive had to resurface the rotors twice already. I havent messed with the tranny, but in all honesty im not so happy anymore with Toyotas so much anymore. i used to have an 04 tacoma that i had for 12 years. Not one single problem, EVER. Never even did the timing belt in 200k. I traded that in for a 10 tundra, wasnt impressed. Got rid of that and got the 12 camry, not impressed. Im contemplating a brand new tacoma, but im still on the fence. I dont like toyotas auto tranny. It always seems to take to long to engage. Well atleast in my camry and the tundra. Again thanks for the advice. 

It... might be a warped rotor, but you seem to be fixated on that and not looking at all the other things. If you eliminate all other causes, whatever is left has to be it. If you are so positive just replace it and the problem goes away.  

I have two sets of rotors. Because shortly after i bought the car, they warped. It was a situation where i needed to fix them, couldnt resurface cause no one was open around my area, so i bought a new set. Ive since had ro resurface each set once. Im positive that the sticky caliper pin is the culprit. Just got to fix that, with a new caliper. Im more concerned about the constant vibration at 80 that comes and goes like a wave. It comes on somewhat strong for a few seconds, then tapers off. Then a few seconds later on, then off. Rinse and repeat. I still plan ro check off all the suggestions from everyone, but with the weather here being wet, and not having money to justify fixing it yet due to time off from this damn virus, ive not looked yet. However, thanks for all the help

Anything worn in the steering or lower control arms can cause this.  I've had it tremendously bad in my work truck - so bad that it started to tear one of the 1/8" thick steal LCA pivot brackets from the violent shaking.  If the LCA bushing is worn, or a steering component (TRE/tie rod end), it can let the wheel(s) toe in & out, and in some cases turn into an oscillation at certain speeds.  In my case I would be driving along at highway speeds and hit a small bump or rut and the front end would start acting like two angry cats locked in a box.

22 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Anything worn in the steering or lower control arms can cause this.  I've had it tremendously bad in my work truck - so bad that it started to tear one of the 1/8" thick steal LCA pivot brackets from the violent shaking.  If the LCA bushing is worn, or a steering component (TRE/tie rod end), it can let the wheel(s) toe in & out, and in some cases turn into an oscillation at certain speeds.  In my case I would be driving along at highway speeds and hit a small bump or rut and the front end would start acting like two angry cats locked in a box.

Oscillation! Thank you. Thats exactly the vibration. Its not super bad. But bad. Bad enough to be a concern. Ill say my bushings arent as bad as the dime, but they are bad for an 8 year old car, imo. It only takes speed to get this vibration going..

Like mentioned above , check everything.

Just a fun example rrlated or not. Lost my front *stick on* passenger wheel weights on the 260hp Acura coupe 2-summers ago. It vibrated or showed upt times @75-85mph range about 2-5% ? of the trip off and on when it chose to.. in waves.. harsher vibrations to soft....while driving through several states back to California.  Im pretty sure the weights fell off while i was driving that trip at some point when the issue occurred but have no idea when. Pulled into a tire shop when i spotted one through either nevada or utah ? Idk. Tires were @ 70% tread yokohama something something shitty series. Had my wheels balanced , and Rotated....never had that problem again. 

Everyone I know that has a new Tacoma has no complaints....they all love them.....

Once a Tacoma guy.....almost always a Tacoma guy....

If you do get one....change the atf regularly.....

I love my tundra , and use it for a truck when I need it (last tow/haul was 6.5 tons of river rock over several trips)

He'll I've towed cars , boats, moved people ,  loaded it up with wood , insulation , steel , blah blah blah no regrets.

Other than that....the Tundra sits.....I drive my acura....when Im not driving the company truck

Edited by I'm BLUE