Project Redemption - 1964 Datsun 312 Bluebird

A couple of videos I put together from pulling the car out of the earth, and getting a key to open the trunk:

Now that the trunk has been opened, I'm probably going to have to set the car aside for a few weeks to wrap up some other shop projects.  But I'll keep you posted once I'm back on it!

• Like 3
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would not give up on the block if it has matching numbers until I knew for sure it was junk, I would give up on the exposed parts on the head as you might be able to find them.

I also would look very close at the bumpers, they might both be 320 front bumpers except the rear one don't have the engine crank hole.

I seen a set of like new early Datsun hubcaps a few years ago at the Canby meet, as I recall right now they had a red center but it has been a while and Canby is no more, are any of them hubcaps complete enough to get a good close up photo of what they originally looked like?

I wish I had your fabrication skills, mine are more crude.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, wayno said:

Personally I would not give up on the block if it has matching numbers until I knew for sure it was junk, I would give up on the exposed parts on the head as you might be able to find them.

I also would look very close at the bumpers, they might both be 320 front bumpers except the rear one don't have the engine crank hole.

I seen a set of like new early Datsun hubcaps a few years ago at the Canby meet, as I recall right now they had a red center but it has been a while and Canby is no more, are any of them hubcaps complete enough to get a good close up photo of what they originally looked like?

I wish I had your fabrication skills, mine are more crude.

I might just do that when I dig in- no harm in soaking the thing in Marvel Mystery Oil and seeing what happens!

The bumpers have similar profiles but the rear mounting points and overriders are in different locations.  They're both solid enough to save, thankfully.

I've got a few friends keeping their eyes open for hubcaps and a couple other parts in Japan, so hopefully by the time I'm ready to put it back together I'll have everything I need.  Already scored some new tail lights that don't have bb holes in them haha

The guys that have parts for these little cars seem to be asking reasonable prices(Datsun swap meets) as there is no one to sell them to as these cars are so rare in the states, I seen one on Craigslist in the city I live in maybe 10 years ago but it had no bumpers so I walked away, I have not seen it for sale or in person since and I drive down that road a lot.

I actually have a grill for one of these cars, I wanted to put it on a 320 kingcab truck I made, but it the end I went with the grill it came with.

1 hour ago, wayno said:

I actually have a grill for one of these cars, I wanted to put it on a 320 kingcab truck I made, but it the end I went with the grill it came with.

My 510 parts hoarder instincts kicked in and I was about to ask you how much you want for it!  Then I realized I'll only ever have ONE of these cars, and the grille on it is just fine. Haha

• Haha 2

I know a guy in Belgium that has already asked me for it, he said he would pay double what I paid for it, but that was years ago.

There is another guy within a 100 miles of me that has a WPL312 that I believe has also expressed an interest (couple years ago), if you have a good grill then you are good, fact is from what I have seen/read of your work so far you could likely make a grill if you had to, and mine is likely not as good as the one you have.

I just looked at yours, maybe they are about the same condition.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 2:51 PM, wayno said:

The guys that have parts for these little cars seem to be asking reasonable prices(Datsun swap meets) as there is no one to sell them to as these cars are so rare in the states, I seen one on Craigslist in the city I live in maybe 10 years ago but it had no bumpers so I walked away, I have not seen it for sale or in person since and I drive down that road a lot.

Wayne I still need a 64 312 grill 

• Like 1