620 parking brake cable length

Eric

is there a difference in length between the drivers and passenger side?

I know there is a difference in long and short bed, but is there a difference in left and right as well?

I have to get a new one on the passenger side, and i don't have one at all. So i can make a copy of the right side one, but i need to know if a copy will do the trick.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they may be the similar length to keep the pull even on both sides.

Looks like two different set ups. One through '74 and the ones after. Pre '75 the right or passenger side is threaded on the end with an adjusting nut through a lever.  Up to '74 both cables have a small ball on the ends. Both left sides look kind of similar. The right is the really different one and yours is missing. 

i have a 1973 standard cab that has the e-brake complete. I'm not going outside right now (late and dark, almost my bed time), but I will try to remember tomorrow (sometime before noon, or late in the day) to get the info you are needing. I may not be able to get exact lengths, but I will try to get approximate lengths. If I forget please remind me tomorrow before it gets dark.

Don

Edited by 620slodat

I apologize that I haven't had time to properly address this question, other things came up that took precedence. On the 1973 620 there is a difference between the right and left e-brake cables, but it is more than length. I also took pictures with my cell phone, if I can figure a way to get them posted (I am left behind when it comes to technology).  I will get back to this tomorrow. Right now it is late for me and I need to go to bed.

Don

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Too short won't work but too long will.... just like a bicycle hand brake cable. You could use KC or long box cables as long as they don't dangle and get caught on something.

I'll just copy the one i have because that fits both sides.

14 hours ago, 620slodat said:

I apologize that I haven't had time to properly address this question, other things came up that took precedence. On the 1973 620 there is a difference between the right and left e-brake cables, but it is more than length. I also took pictures with my cell phone, if I can figure a way to get them posted (I am left behind when it comes to technology).  I will get back to this tomorrow. Right now it is late for me and I need to go to bed.

Don

Hi Don, you can try uploading them at www.mupload.nl. But thats dutch. Don't know if there is something like this in the us. 

Thanks Eric. My daughter is currently at work, but I will get her to help me after she gets home. In the mean time I will give the dimensions I have.

Hooking the cable to the rear brakes should be the same for each side, but that was inside the drum so I couldn't see it.

On the drivers side (left side). Measuring from where the sheath enters the backing plate to the other end of the sheath it is approximately 27 3/4 inches (same for other side also).On the drivers side it is approximately 18 1/4 inches from the bracket at the end of the sheath to the end of the cable, and crimped onto the cable is a steel threaded shaft. I forgot to get the length of that shaft, but it is approximately 4 inches long. The bracket at the end of the sheath is in the same location for each side, but the drivers side bracket is shorter and has less angle than the passenger side.

On the passenger side (right side) it is approximately 15 1/2 inches from the bracket at the end of the sheath to the crimped on ball on the end of the cable. A bent strap coupler of about 1 inch is then used. This is coupled  to the end of the cable that comes from the handle under the dash. Pictures would really help you with how the mechanism for equalizing the left and right side is as that is part of the cable from the handle under the dash. Pictures will be coming in about 5 hours, depending on the daughter's schedule.

I have a 1982 720 series frame available to compare to which is almost identical to the 620 series frame. The differences do not appear to be in the e-brake cables. On that frame the e-brake cable situation is reversed from left to right for the 620 series frame as the front cable goes up the right side instead of the left like the 620 series. From appearances it is put together in a similar manner, but I do not know what year the e-brake system switched sides.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
  • Like 1

I couldn't figure out how to put descriptions along with the pictures, so here they are in a second post.

#1- The left side bracket between the rear axle and the e-brake cross member. The front of the pickup is to the right. Note that the bracket is smaller and almost square to the frame.

#2- The right side bracket and the same distance from the rear axle as the left side. The front of the pickup is to the left, note that the bracket is longer and at a much greater angle to the frame.

#3- This is the e-brake cross member between the rear axle and the transmission, and looking towards the front of the pickup. The e-brake cables from both sides can be seen  going into the cross member. On the left side the end of the threaded rod that is swagged onto the left rear cable can just barely be seen. On the right (just barely in the picture) is the splicer that connects the rear cable with the front cable that connects to the handle under the dash. 

#4- This is the same cross member from the other side (looking to the left rear). This is the equalizer for the two sides. The cable from the handle under the dash goes across from the left, through the equalizer, and disappears into the cross member. The cable from the left rear axle can't be seen here.

#5- This is a better picture of the equalizer, from the bottom. The front of the pickup is to the top of the picture. The cable from the left rear (on the right) can be seen here with the threaded rod (crimped onto the cable) and adjuster nut. The cable from the handle under the dash can be seen here going diagonally across the picture, and going into the cross member to the left of the equalizer.

I wish that I could have figured out how to add the descriptions along with the pictures, but this will do.

I hope that these pictures will help you, and anybody else in the future.

Don

• Like 1

Thanks @620slodat !!

I took my old cables, the one with the right length and the short one to a cable shop and asked them to make me two new ones. 

Your equalizer looks different than mine, and i don't have that mounting brackets on the frame. Mine is a 79 KC, so that probably changed over the years.

I know that the e-brake assembly did change somewhere between 1973 and 1982, but not when the change took place. I have a 1982 720 frame available with enough of the rear e-brake assembly intact to see what it looks like. I know that the e-brake reversed direction by 1982 and the front cable went up the right side frame rail to the cab, but I don't know if enough of the system on the frame is left to get an idea of what it looks like. It looks like the chance of rain drops to 5% sometime around 10:00 am tomorrow and if it does get dry enough to pull the tarp off I will take a look at that e-brake system and see if enough is there to get an idea.

Don 

The cable was cut in the engine compartment area on the 720 series, so enough of the system is left to do a comparison. The 1982 frame is a long wheelbase and the 1973 is a standard wheelbase, but a comparison can be made in spite of the different cable lengths. Other than length the systems are basically the same, except that the complete system is reversed. Meaning that what is on the left on the 1973 is found on the right on the 1982. The equalizer is looks similar except it works in a reverse action. The front cable goes up the right side frame into the engine compartment on the 1982 while the front cable on the 1973 goes up the left side of the engine compartment. 

Apparently the US model is different than the European model. It would be interesting see pictures of what you have so we can compare the US to European systems.

Don

Edited by 620slodat

Thank you for posting that. It does look different than what I have. I will need to study that and compare it to what I have in the 620 pickup. I need to change what I have (to a tunnel mount handle?) as I will need the space on the motor side of the firewall that the e-brake cable takes.

Don

Edited by 620slodat