Nitrous on a L18

slowlearner

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go more than 50 hp. In fact 25 would be better. 50 HP is about a 2/3s increase in power on a stock engine! That's a lot of heat to get rid of or live with, with stock gaped rings and pistons, stock rad, old rod and main bearings. Probably closer to twice the output of a tired old L18. This will just shorten it's life.    

Not to mention only 5 bolts holding the flywheel on, and an intake manifold with piss poor distribution.

Got an idea,

go find an engine that's stronger, or larger displacement, and sell your L18 to me,

BEFORE you blow it up.

Never mind, I see you are from Australia, it turns the wrong way....{joke}

6 hours ago, G-Duax said:

Not to mention only 5 bolts holding the flywheel on, and an intake manifold with piss poor distribution.

Got an idea,

go find an engine that's stronger, or larger displacement, and sell your L18 to me,

BEFORE you blow it up.

Never mind, I see you are from Australia, it turns the wrong way....{joke}

Bahaha! That's 4 more threads than I had holding my VW flywheel on. 😉

Actually I looked up an EFI style (what I'd need) kit and it's $2000+. So It's not a cheap option. Be easier to buy a SC14 blower and a cheap intercooler.

42 minutes ago, slowlearner said:

Bahaha! That's 4 more threads than I had holding my VW flywheel on. 😉

And how many dowel pins.....

Good luck with your build, or should I say 'bomb'.

i disagee you could put a 50 shot on that thing all day long just make sure its timed properly and has GOOD gas. if it detonantes on spray it WILL break the ring lands.

if you run an igniton retard box and race gas you can probably run 75.

you need to make sure you have quite an open exhaust as your exhaust flow will go up tremendously.. so hack off the 1.5" exhaust before you hit it as that will be a massive bottleneck.

you dont want to run a single nozzle in the stock intake either, you'd want a multi port fogger to ensure your getting it even in the cylinders (not 50hp in one and 10 in the rest)

I ran an edelbrock 71846 kit on my motor for a number of years. i do have a built motor though but that kit works really well on the small jets. (its the 50-125 kit.) now i have the big boy solenoids and a second kit on the underside as well... its addicting and makes your car go like a bat out of hell... start saving for a built motor lol.

i can confirm the stock rods can take a 125 shot with no problems. i havint tried to see where stock pistons die though 😉

it also needs to be healthy to start with, if its a good runner spray away.