'78 120y blue ute

ESPANTA

Hi everyone! New guy! Dont shoot!😅

So here's my rust bucket. Bought it 3 years ago and since then i've been trying to improve it bit by bit whenever i can.

FB-IMG-1495064475465.jpg

So far its been through a couple carb setups. Original hitachi died a couple days after i bought it. After that had a twin keihin setup from a Honda Civic

IMG-20170720-004037.jpg

Until one of them died. So i mounted a Weber 28/36 and has been running ever since.

IMG-20170410-191428.jpg

Also it still had drum brakes on all wheels, i got a set of 120y struts and fitted some 247mm Saxo vts brakes with braided lines

IMG-20170604-012818.jpg

And a set of cheap 13"wheels

IMG-20170529-225513.jpg

Latelly bought a hardtop and some crystal headlights from a golf mk2

IMG-20190825-192906.jpg

Until last month the A12 decided that it was time to burn a valve and get some rest

IMG-20200206-214817.jpg

IMG-20200206-214346.jpg

So i got an a15 with h89 head to drop inIMG-20200211-144404.jpg

So now ive just disassembled the engine to Clean and check for wear. So far so good. Now all i need is to source a couple parts to close the engine and see what Im doing next...

Sorry if my english isnt that good but its been a while since ive used it...

• Like 4
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone

This one came from south africa to portugal in the 80's. Thats why its RHD. And yes its very small. A lot of my friends cant fit on the drivers side😂

And yes it'll need some sound deadening later on. Driving in the rain feels like im inside an empty oil barrel but i kind of like it. It adds personality to it

Also forgot to mention that the front spoiler is from a golf mk1 GTI and the front mask is made out of a Rover 111 front bumper

Well regardind the engine so far the plan was simple:

Rings and bearings

Port the head

Cam regrind

78.5mm flat top pistons

Headers

E16 crank(if i manage to find One)

L16valves (if i find a set)

Itbs

But while i was cleaning the garage i found one of pandoras boxes that i tend to forget about i have. And this one got me thinking:

IMG-20190605-103200.jpg

Maybe the plans for the engine could take a sharp turn...

• Like 1

Well i ran into a couple problema while mocking some thing up trying to fit the Eaton

IMG-20200303-225749.jpg

-This is the only possible mount for it to Run an intercooler setup

-The m65 is a bit too long with the double intake.

-The oil level thing(dont know the translation to that) gets allways in the way doesnt matter to where i bend it

-The battery mount is also in the way

Besides this, theres allways the not so stock look of things. Modifications around here are all forbiden by law. So theres allways the Cops pulling you Over to inspect and the anual inspection to worry about. 

And lets face it. I would pass a lot easier with itbs than with a eaton screaming its lungs out🤣

Thats why Im still thinking about going FI or NA. Would probably spend the same amount in the end on both and get better results with FI but more reliability and peace with NA🤔

oil level checker / dipstick can be relocated

you can cut the battery tray and make it smaller and run a performance battery like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XEF3DM/?coliid=I10YTJTYHHV9N8&colid=21EVR1TCVOT7P&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

which has a much smaller size / or you can relocate the battery to under the bed. 

• Like 1

For the battery i thought about that. Fabricate a smaller tray and use a slimmer battery like the older hondas used, but next to the headlight. That would clear some room.

But how can i relocate the dipstick other than twisting the metal tube around? Cause Im almost breaking it after just twisting it 2 times.

Fabricate a new "metal tube guide thing" and switch to some "metal cable plastic ends" type dipstick like some newer cars use?

Im using the older A12 to mock things up cause if i mess anything up it better be on the older engine not on the new One. Datsun parts are kinda rare and expensive around here...

Buy a couple junkyard dipstick tubes with curves and one of those cable dipsticks.  Then you can tack the tube into whatever shape you want and customize the cable length.

• Like 1

BrothersGarage i had thought about something similar but the problem is that the hole in the block is exactly bellow where Im planning to mount the Supercharger. So that would become even harder to check the level in the future

Im going to try what Lockleaf sugested first. Cause i can get a couple old dipsticks at work just need take some measurements and get some pieces of tube to try the idea

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Well the Eaton its gonna be saved for another engine.

Soo back at N/A.

Since i'll be using 78.5mm pistons and the whole valvetrain it needs to be replaced i was thinking what valve sizes could i use to better fit the engine

Usually on the French TU engines, the 1.3litter its kept with the stock 39.5/31.4 valve sizes with good results. But once it gets to a 1.6 engine the valves work ok but better results are found with bigger valves.

So since i currently have 37/32 if Im not mistaken, i was thinking about what valves would fit better the engine on the end 40/32 , 42/32 or 42/33 and what effects would cause um power delivery each set.

I havent choosen the camshaft specs yet but Im not looking for max power. Just a strong little fast road engine that can cruise when needed