What gauge of metal should I use to replace the floor

JuanOch0a

I've been working on my 720 for a while, and I've recently discovered that the floor pans and rocker panels on the truck are rusted out because it's covered with vinyl and carpet. I would like to focus my attention on the pans and rockets because the area where the cab is mounted to the frame is rusted out as well. I would like to know how thick of metal I should get, that way I dont spend too much but still get some good replacements. Any suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to buy 20 or 22 gauge hot rolled steel sheet. Cold rolled is too stiff for working on a wheel or for beating into shape.  20 is preferred but  my supplier does't always have it in stock.

• Like 1

i have similar issues where my body mounts to the frame and i got some 16 gauge steel remnants from work. still havent started the repair. hopefully when the weather gets better this spring/summer ill have time. i have the carpet pulled out and a new one to replace it, but for now when its raining the tires sling water up through the small holes in the floor and get my pants wet.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I nearly put my foot through the rusty floor when I got my 720. I needed a quick fix, and just screwed several layers of galvanized metal roof flashing over the problem areas, expecting to do a proper replacement later. It's been five years, though...guess it's not too high on my list!

• Like 1