Covid-19 Prepared?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, john510 said:

Considering it's John Lewis i'd bet it's pretty one sided.

I was thinking the how the split would look in regards to Covid19,  getting accurate numbers would be difficult and which ever way it fell it would be accompanied by several halfwit theories on who is to blame.

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I was thinking the how the split would look in regards to Covid19,  getting accurate numbers would be difficult and which ever way it fell it would be accompanied by several halfwit theories on who is to blame.

No theories needed, it's a foregone conclusion. Trump is to blame.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

That is where this is heading, I suspect soon you will be required to wear a mask if you are even outside your house, I heard this on the news, wear a mask if your even taking a walk by yourself, but this was news about the Portland OR area.

30 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I saw someone (an idiot) driving around alone with a mask on.

• Like 1

Masks are better than nothing but barely measurably better. Cloth masks are even less effective and a bandanna next to useless. Looks like you are actually doing something though and perception is everything. I suggest you don't go out at all without a good reason. Then at less than peak volume times when most are at home. Change how you do things, simply avoid other people. Limit your exposure. Like abstinence to prevent pregnancy rather than relying on prophylactic measures. 

The N95 only stops 95% of particles down to 0.3 microns. Viruses are almost 0.3 microns and smaller so only good for droplets above 0.3 microns.   

I have a P100 dust mask with cartridges. Good for 99.97% filtration down to 0.3 microns.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Masks are better than nothing but barely measurably better. Cloth masks are even less effective and a bandanna next to useless. Looks like you are actually doing something though and perception is everything. I suggest you don't go out at all without a good reason. Then at less than peak volume times when most are at home. Change how you do things, simply avoid other people. Limit your exposure. Like abstinence to prevent pregnancy rather than relying on prophylactic measures. 

The N95 only stops 95% of particles down to 0.3 microns. Viruses are almost 0.3 microns and smaller so only good for droplets above 0.3 microns.   

I have a P100 dust mask with cartridges. Good for 99.97% filtration down to 0.3 microns.

The entire premise to your argument is based on efficacy for the wearer.  The idea is to protect anyone in your vicinity from you.  The droplets a cloth mask block from getting out are not trivial.    And the entire issue is that it requires everyone to participate.  If everyone wears a mask aside from the one sick asshole, then all the others protection is basically worthless.  If the sick guy wears a mask, everyone gets to tuck their kids into bed and break bread with family.  The shower meme got a laughter out of me, but basically shaming people for making you safer feels especially naive.  If folks drive with a mask, I feel good knowing they have a clean trail.  More of them means we may once again be able to travel and enjoy life.  

Masks are a prophylaxis method of futility. No matter how much you protect your lungs from inhaling micron sized droplets your eyes are still exposed. The pathway of entry isnt just the mouth or nose. 

Its why the big flatulent faced screamers getting mad at anyone not wearing a mask is just parroting without any learned effort. 

Protect your eyes too people. 

1 hour ago, tr8er said:

The entire premise to your argument is based on efficacy for the wearer.  The idea is to protect anyone in your vicinity from you.  The droplets a cloth mask block from getting out are not trivial.    And the entire issue is that it requires everyone to participate.  If everyone wears a mask aside from the one sick asshole, then all the others protection is basically worthless.  If the sick guy wears a mask, everyone gets to tuck their kids into bed and break bread with family.  The shower meme got a laughter out of me, but basically shaming people for making you safer feels especially naive.  If folks drive with a mask, I feel good knowing they have a clean trail.  More of them means we may once again be able to travel and enjoy life.  

And now you're saying that if a sick person wears one everyone is safe and that's just wrong. They're better than nothing. Stops or slows larger droplets from a cough or sneeze or forceful talking that will fall out of the air sooner. Slows the fine stuff down but much less stopping power. If you can breath through them, stuff can go either way. Cloth masks and bandanas are a joke. None come with a filtration rating they simply look reassuring to everyone.

• Like 1