Covid-19 Prepared?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Use your other less dominant hand and you'll think it's someone else.

Which one do you think got the injury? I cut myself right below the nail, and about almost a half inch in. 

They superglued it instead of stitches. Stitches would have required removal of my thumbnail, and i just didn't feel like waiting for that to grow back. Small tourniquet was applied to stop bleeding and to help the glue dry! Fun! 

thumbum.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jesse C. said:

thumbum.jpg

I did the same thumb with a box cutter at work. Went in from the left right where the nail comes out and maybe 1/4 way into the nail. I was so pissed and embarrassed I wrapped my fingers around it, grabbed 5 or 6 band aids and went in the washroom and cleaned and wrapped it up. Went back to work. Cut it all off at home and put more on and left them for a week. Eventually the nail grew out but kept any loose edge trimmed so it wouldn't catch on anything. Looking at the scar now. 

Same thumb I sliced the nerve on the right side in a table saw. A two inch scar on the fleshy base on a sharpened paint scraper at GM and tore the nail off in a printing press accident and two years ago a nail punctured about an inch into the base near the 2 inch scar. The index finger lost half the finger print and has a skin graft... same press accident and the next finger only lost the nail. Fuck me I'm rough on the non dominant hand.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I did the same thumb with a box cutter at work. Went in from the left right where the nail comes out and maybe 1/4 way into the nail. I was so pissed and embarrassed I wrapped my fingers around it, grabbed 5 or 6 band aids and went in the washroom and cleaned and wrapped it up. Went back to work. Cut it all off at home and put more on and left them for a week. Eventually the nail grew out but kept any loose edge trimmed so it wouldn't catch on anything. Looking at the scar now. 

Same thumb I sliced the nerve on the right side in a table saw. A two inch scar on the fleshy base on a sharpened paint scraper at GM and tore the nail off in a printing press accident and two years ago a nail punctured about an inch into the base near the 2 inch scar. The index finger lost half the finger print and has a skin graft... same press accident and the next finger only lost the nail. Fuck me I'm rough on the non dominant hand.

you have so much scar tissue your going to need to wear a rubber glove to keep from callusing your P E N _ _

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Finger cuts are the worst, especially for us that work with our hands. Small cuts can bleed like hell and cutting into nerves is terrible. Granted, they can heal a bit faster, but it seems forever for them to heal. 

Luckily I am now down to just a band aid and being careful not to hit it. Because that hurts like a mother! 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

I glue my skin back together a lot working with metal. 

I used my edge knife on some parts the other day and laid open my pinky finger. Had to do much the same. Rubber band the finger and glue it shut. 

New Skin Liquid Bandage is safer and more sterile.  It is even used in Hospitals for minor surgery.

47 minutes ago, wayno said:

I use super glue to glue cuts together.

Vetbond or "tissue adhesive"

Basically super glue but slightly different polymer so it works a bit better with tissue (N-butyl cyanoacrylate or octyl cyanoacrylate depending on brand). Intended for animal use but is already sterile and comes with a nice applicator. Used to use a lot of it at my old work and we would have partial bottles that were no longer acceptable to be used for surgery (animals) that needed to be "disposed of".

You can buy it off Amazon but it does a get a bit pricey compared to regular superglue but is compatible with internal use if needed, does seem to "burn" less than generic superglue.

For larger stuff I've used "duct tape" cut to strips to pull wounds together (alternating strips), did that when I sliced the crap out of my finger a few years ago. If you get the option adding some suture kits to your first aid kit is always good. I keep one of my old surgery kits that was EO sterilized but we never got around to using in my home kit.