Covid-19 Prepared?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/19/2020 at 3:12 AM, Str8jacket said:

Sarcasm aside, the stupid thing is "people" seem to forget that where ever manufacturing etc gets sent to stop pollution in their country is probably still apart of the same planet. If i cant see it, it isnt real. 

__ee14f37b7679308c85bba5e4a78670c6_width

• Like 3

Except that others may join in to the point that a 15% incarceration rate is untenable. What you need is social nonacceptance like drinking and driving or smoking. But that takes too much time time, so I suggest a good tune up instead.

police-beat-people-at-mrt.gif

• Like 2

It must be getting better, I was able to buy toilet paper today.

On another note,

"the stupid thing is "people" seem to forget that where ever manufacturing etc gets sent to stop pollution in their country is probably still apart of the same planet. If i cant see it, it isnt real." 

What if the place we send manufacturing to actually created more pollution because the standards of what is acceptable there are less stringent, and never mind pollution from shipping across oceans and back.

• Like 2

China.

Has historically never waged war with it's neighbors so has zero experience. It may have a navy a fledgling air force and an army but it takes decades of fighting for the best tacticians to rise to the top, generations even, literally fighting their way to the top. They have no military presence outside their back yard and would be hard pressed to protect their oil supply lines.Though China is vast, almost all it's population is within a thousand miles of it's east coast. Relatively lately (30? years) China has opened up for trade and the coastal ports have become vastly wealthy while inland is poor. The ruling party is communist in theory but the country more capitalist in fact. Wealth has caused the interior poor population to demand more wealth and prosperity which must put a strain on the party trying to juggle things. It's estimated that over 1/4 ($600-$900 BILLION) of it's GNP is defaulted loans. (some say 40%!!) Loans that were non regulated and handed out to the incompetent and corrupt by party controlled finances lacking any discipline. These are covered only by the insane growth rates and massive, though cheap, exports. Any fuck up in their exports, like a western recession, will topple this house of cards. Common sense will show that sustained growth is and always has been IMPOSSIBLE. If things go south there will be extreme unrest by the average poorly paid or unemployed Chinese. The rich have nothing in common with their poorer cousins and more in common with western capitalists than communist doctrine. Poor will be poor rich will be rich and the communist party in the middle trying to calm everybody. When it comes to tightening their belts the Chinese won't have any of it. 

• Like 2

So, here is a quick question

Have you been finding yourself drive slower or faster during these times?

Oddly enough, I have been driving almost the speed limit. It has been two weeks since I got gas and i am fine with it. Even though gas has been the cheapest in years. 

• Like 2

I've been driving as i normally would,right about the speed limit.I have noticed a lot of people driving like they're late to get somewhere.I heard something about speeding tickets for 100+ MPH are up 40% here in California.Fucking idiots.

• Like 3

I drive the speed limit at all times, or below it, but that's just me I'm almost never in a hurry. If there's anyone behind maybe 2-3km above.... fuck em. I think there are fewer cars so drivers may not feel pressured to 'get ahead' or appear to be holding anyone up. People are so competitive and predictable and where the road widens to two lanes they floor it past me and stop at the lights and I catch the green and roll right past them.

• Like 3

But what if a couple of kids (brother & sister) were coming/going to the playground at the school?

I've noticed that some idiots still drive fast through residential neighborhoods around here,even though I've

been seeing a lot more families going out for walks in these same neighborhoods.

Always assume that there could be kids/people out there,even if they're not supposed to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, angliagt said:

But what if a couple of kids (brother & sister) were coming/going to the playground at the school?

I've noticed that some idiots still drive fast through residential neighborhoods around here,even though I've

been seeing a lot more families going out for walks in these same neighborhoods.

Always assume that there could be kids/people out there,even if they're not supposed to be.

I think here it's 30k ANY school day 8 till 5? even if a holiday, other than summer break. Usually there is a play ground or a park nearby so reduced speed an hour before sunrise and till an hour after sunset.

• Like 1

Yeah that's common when going fast. People assume you are going near the speed limit and think there's time and room. Twenty MPH over is 29.33 feet per second closer than expected, barely enough for the driver to turn his head back and start letting the clutch out. If 20 over in a 50 you're closing at over 100 feet a second. Three seconds is a football field. I ALWAYS have my HIDs on. Cars looking to pull out expect to see headlights if there is a car coming. No headlight, no car coming..... WTF!!! where did that Datsun come from????

On the freeway I am normally going around 75mph(most the time in the right lane) as most are in the left two lanes, I pass hundreds on long trips.

Around town I normally do the speed limit no matter what I am driving, the 521 kingcab or the work truck/trailer(has really good power brakes/trailer brakes), but I drive way ahead of myself, I am normally watching around 3 or 4 vehicles ahead of the vehicle ahead of me, I really don't like to follow large trucks or Vans as I can't see what's going on ahead of them, lots of people pass me these days, it didn't used to be that way but I have mellowed out, but I still drive faster than Dmike even when towing another vehicle behind my vehicle.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

I'm even older now (birthday today) and just not in a hurry anymore. If I'm driving I like to enjoy the ride not get tense in traffic. This is not to say I haven't gone fast. On 80K roads in the boonies I like plowing into tight turns that are marked much lower. Technically not speeding but extremely rare, maybe once or twice a summer. If on holiday like Canby weekend I get onto tertiary roads an putt along.

• Like 3