Covid-19 Prepared?

Had it back in the day, (late '70s) also Tales of Mystery and Imagination a take on Poe horror stories. Had it on a clear yellow vinyl LP. He also worked on the Abby Road album and Al Stewart. As for TDSOTM.... greatest album ever. Wore out two 8 track tapes. CDs are much harder.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Hey, is anyone noticing that you're spending more quality time with family members? Like making supper and sitting down together? Sitting outside and spending time, maybe talking more?

Yes, it is actually pretty nice. Also getting quite a bit of stuff done around the house. I already have a load of stuff to take to the Thrift shops and the dump! 

Not only that, I have been contacted by folks I have not heard from in a while and I have also reached out to friends to see how they are. 

• Like 7

My Wife brought up an interesting point.She works as an Administrative Assistant 

(Secretary) at a local high school.

She said that when the students return,there might be a lot more cases than if they

were in school,& caught it,& got over it,thus possibly having their bodies develop an immunity to it.

It seems that most of the deaths were due to existing health conditions.

Just a thought.

• Like 3

Second wave. 

I don't think kids will be back in session until September, and that is when the first run of vaccines is supposed to be available. So we might see a boom in youth infection among non vaccinated. That is if the vaccine is worth anything. 

• Like 4

Need infra red scanners at all schools. Last week I worked I was to self examine myself and answer 6-7 check questions. The guy I used to work with said one of the guys on the other crew had a coughing fit and that's why I was told not to enter the premises. He just got back after 2 weeks at home and started coughing again. lol they sent him home again. SMH. I'll know more tomorrow as my old partner is dropping off some of my personal effects that were locked down in the work truck. 

There's talk that you might get it a second time but they are also harvesting anti bodies from recovered people. Can't have it both ways unless the acquired immunity is short lived. I thought immunity was often for life. Not always but for a long time.

• Like 4

Yeah the data is still out on how long we will be immune or carry the correct response. The reports of second infections haven't been substantiated. Still hyperbole panic screeching. 

I just want to see the study conclusions and peer reviews. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Part cut here>

There's talk that you might get it a second time but they are also harvesting anti bodies from recovered people. Can't have it both ways unless the acquired immunity is short lived. I thought immunity was often for life. Not always but for a long time.

I will say there are at least 3 or more factors at work for the supposed "reinfections" that are seen.

1. The tests are too sensitive. CDC based testing actually tests for the presence of viral nucleocapsid RNA. This does not mean live virus is still around and there have been many problems with these tests and false positives/negatives. It is possible to test positive due to the sensitivity of the kit and have no live virus present, just remnants for quite some time. This ties into the second part.

2. The reinfection reports are flawed. It is quite possible as we are still in the "fog of war" that the reports of reinfections are flawed in some way. I have yet to actually see any good data from a source I trust (not the CCP) about reinfection. I suspect we will just have to wait and see if that is an actual issue or artifactual. 

3. We really are seeing reinfection. See below as this is the most complex. 

Short version simplified a bit:

You actually can have it both ways (less common though) since it really depends on how well the individual person mounts an antibody response. 

Hypothetically, you can break it into 2 groups:

Group 1, those who did a shit job of making antibodies, but survived the first infection, and are then able to get reinfected. 

Group 2, those who make really good antibodies and can't get reinfected. 

Obviously, Group 2 is the person you want to harvest antibodies from. 

Group 1 may have some protection and even be asymptomatic but still infected.

How long the person is immune for can also be extremely variable from individual to individual as can how good their specific antibodies are.

A bunch of other factors exist also. The very short answer is it can vary a lot.

Without getting way too in depth to it as there are many different epitopes and/or proteins that can be sites of antibody response. Some of these may be epitopes that are highly mutated by the virus or different in a different strain. Some proteins (i.e., glycosylated ones) tend to make shitty epitopes for an antibody response. Very good antibodies may completely neutralize viral entry into the cell (maybe by binding spike protein and providing steric hinderance with binding to ACE2 receptor). While some antibodies may neutralize poorly or only in combination with others. Etc., etc., etc.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

I will say there are at least 3 or more factors at work for the supposed "reinfections" that are seen.

1. The tests are too sensitive. CDC based testing actually tests for the presence of viral nucleocapsid RNA. This does not mean live virus is still around and there have been many problems with these tests and false positives/negatives. It is possible to test positive due to the sensitivity of the kit and have no live virus present, just remnants for quite some time. This ties into the second part.

2. The reinfection reports are flawed. It is quite possible as we are still in the "fog of war" that the reports of reinfections are flawed in some way. I have yet to actually see any good data from a source I trust (not the CCP) about reinfection. I suspect we will just have to wait and see if that is an actual issue or artifactual. 

3. We really are seeing reinfection. See below as this is the most complex. 

Short version simplified a bit:

You actually can have it both ways (less common though) since it really depends on how well the individual person mounts an antibody response. 

Hypothetically, you can break it into 2 groups:

Group 1, those who did a shit job of making antibodies, but survived the first infection, and are then able to get reinfected. 

Group 2, those who make really good antibodies and can't get reinfected. 

Obviously, Group 2 is the person you want to harvest antibodies from. 

Group 1 may have some protection and even be asymptomatic but still infected.

How long the person is immune for can also be extremely variable from individual to individual as can how good their specific antibodies are.

A bunch of other factors exist also. The very short answer is it can vary a lot.

Without getting way too in depth to it as there are many different epitopes and/or proteins that can be sites of antibody response. Some of these may be epitopes that are highly mutated by the virus or different in a different strain. Some proteins (i.e., glycosylated ones) tend to make shitty epitopes for an antibody response. Very good antibodies may completely neutralize viral entry into the cell (maybe by binding spike protein and providing steric hinderance with binding to ACE2 receptor). While some antibodies may neutralize poorly or only in combination with others. Etc., etc., etc.

Way over my head, I know I am not sick at the moment and god willing we will all make it through this in time.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

just tell me what meds to take DR D

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Ranman72 said:

just tell me what meds to take DR D

Whatever your MD tells you to. While I work in virology, I'm the other kind of Dr. 

It really does seem as the hydroxychloroquine/Azyithromycin/Zinc supplement combination has some efficacy.

Couple of other experimental drugs I've heard pop up from time to time, but nothing you can actually get. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

@Mattndew76     These people live in Eugene /Springfield area .. Donna family = ( three in house ) Erica family = (four in house) so i assume all have easily had it . 

gTQMYce.png

I’m glad they had no complications. That’s crazy.

i would like to know when this bug actually began. End of November is when the CCP-19 virus was discovered in people. That was just the discovery of human carrier.. So how long was it spreading before then? 

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

I’m glad they had no complications. That’s crazy.

i would like to know when this bug actually began. End of November is when the CCP-19 virus was discovered in people. That was just the discovery of human carrier.. So how long was it spreading before then? 

Weirdly, assuming the anitbody test is accurate, this makes me feel better.

That means community transmission was happening long before it was really identified. This also means the death rate is much much lower than anticipated and that there is already a good start on herd immunity. Which is honestly what several of us in the field have been guessing. This also makes sense with some of the numbers slowing before the lockdown would have effect given the incubation time. 

This also means the reaction to this whole thing in crashing our economy and shutting down everything was NOT appropriate. We would have been fine with a much less rigorous response.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Our Daughter had an emergency room visit for Flu like symptoms in December, but it wasn't like the normal flu or the duration typical. They tested her and they couldn't confirm if it was influenza-B so just said that it was and sent us home. It had the wife and I really scared because it lasted for close to 3 weeks. I am really curious if she had the CCP-19 and that's why the influenza test came back inconclusive.

Cant get tested for antibodies so its a mystery. 

• Like 2