Covid-19 Prepared?

Well I just got notice that my employment has been terminated. So this past week of staying up late on Ratsun and sleeping in, wasn't a total waste of time. No wait!... it was a waste of time, I meant it was good practice for wasting time this summer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They use words like departure and terminated twice. All holiday and banked time is being paid out and  group benefits stop last night. I really have no retirement exit strategy so on the bright side that's not a problem now. 

• Sad 3

OK? I guess so. Surely there are others worse off than me.

1 hour ago, Ranman72 said:

mike what was your job

I worked as a surveyor's assistant. This means making his job easier by lugging around and setting up equipment, moving it around, cutting line through the bush and woods, swamps, mountainsides even some marine surveying, all in any weather imaginable. In town it's posting legal property corners and lines, engineering layout for buildings, subdivisions and infrastructure. Someone has to do the grunt work. Lots of fresh air and at times grueling hard work. If the work isn't hard it's probably boring but sometimes you see something you would NEVER get to see otherwise. I regret never having a helicopter ride to a remote site. Usually drive and walk. God knows how many thousand miles I've walked, how many in the bush. Up until about 30 years ago I worked at unsatisfying indoor jobs that never lasted more than a few years. I didn't know I was an outdoors dog. If you like what you do, or find something you like doing, do it! There is nothing to compare with doing something you like doing. Hard physical labor clears the mind and lets you sleep at night. I bike 5 miles each way to work all weather, all year and have for  more than 20. I'm in fair shape for turning 70 this month. Going to plant a different garden this summer and sit in the sun.

chocolates_tsdlg.jpg

• Like 6
43 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Hard physical labor clears the mind and lets you sleep at night. I bike 5 miles each way to work all weather, all year and have for  more than 20. I'm in fair shape for turning 70 this month. Going to plant a different garden this summer and sit in the sun.

I would say that qualifies you to be in really good shape for 70!

• Like 3

Unless a sure fire vaccine is developed and proven, when will you feel safe, attending a large close proximity venue event, like turf seats at a concert, or a packed dance club, even some part swap meets, I have attended, the aisles can get packed.

Hey Mike,

Be very careful not to fall asleep sitting in the sun if you have turkey buzzards in your area at your age.  Don't ask me how I know this!

• Like 4
7 hours ago, wayno said:

I am thinking the same thing, that is why I said pages ago that I hope we like what we see when this is over with.

Well I remember when seat belts were introduced and then enforced. Then unleaded gas, ramps for the disabled. Then screening at airports and sunscreen, recycling. We got used to this 'social engineering'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, VFR800 said:

Ramps for disabled,sunscreen,recycling.

Terrible things. 

LOL! 

Sorry Mike but those are not bad things at all.  

The next thing just might be requiring all multi story private residences to install elevators [and back up power sources] on the future possibility that a disabled or elderly occupant would move in.  Not too outlandish and possibly desirable, but how many existing 2 story houses have elevators ?  Or stand by power sources.

I bought a single story house and I am 82 years young going on 120..

Edited by MikeRL411
added info
16 hours ago, Ranman72 said:

well mike when one door closes another opens 

eventually this shit will be gone and companies will be hurting for employees that are good and trusted 

yup. and I'm hearing huge numbers of apolitical people saying they will not buy "Made in China" crap anymore. bring our medical production and manufacturing (at a minimum) back here.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, VFR800 said:

Ramps for disabled,sunscreen,recycling.

Terrible things. 

LOL! 

Sorry Mike but those are not bad things at all.  

No!!! I was saying that we all got used to these things for the greater good. Add drinking and driving, people uses to just accept it as normal, now it's socially unacceptable. It wasn't easy accepting these changes and it takes a while.

I'm thinking there could be infra red scanners at all sports events, airlines, theaters, schools, bars, malls.... endless possibilities. If you have a fever over a certain amount and trip the alarm you don't go in, you don't fly. Maybe turned in and forced to go home. I don't know maybe something else...

2 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Lots of hot air, considering companies aren't going to build the necessary factories here. We lost sight of quality, for the sake of cost, a long time ago.

Bad money forces out good.  People see something cheaper like a (forgive me) Chinese alternator for $50 life time guarantee, and they say fuck it, what a deal, but they don't pay for quality so 6 months later it craps and they get a tow home hitch hike in and get the replacement and in 8 months it repeats. That $50 alternator cost you a tow and maybe a day lost work and you had to change it. Meanwhile the good quality $150 alternator doesn't sell and the company stops making them or goes out of business. This is what you get for shopping at WallMart and Cosco for your household goods like patio furniture that is rusted out broken plastic shit in 2-3 years. You know way less than a 100 years ago when you bought something it lasted a lifetime.

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You know way less than a 100 years ago when you bought something it lasted a lifetime.

Which is why I hate 99.9999% of new things, this works out well, because I can't afford new things. But, even if I hit the lotto, I would still drive a (cherry, pristine) 40+ year old rig and I still would resist upgrading any of my computer software, and I would pay a team to keep an old non trackable flip phone working

• Like 5