Intermitant starting issue

Eomund

24 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Again the start signal voltage should be measured and shown to be the cause. Yer puttin' yer boots on before looking out the window for rain.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:32 PM, thisismatt said:

Definitely sounds like a problem with the starter or associated wiring.

23 hours ago, thisismatt said:

regardless A start relay is a good idea.  It'll make your ignition switch last longer.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/28/2020 at 6:20 PM, datzenmike said:

Again the start signal voltage should be measured and shown to be the cause. Yer puttin' yer boots on before looking out the window for rain.

Start signal is fine. I am pretty sure I found the issue. My key cylinder has been giving me some issues for a couple of months (the return spring was not working right) so I swapped it out also knowing it might be related to my problem. I've been driving a lot for the last several days with no issues. Not a guaranteed fix as intermittent is a bitch to track. But I've driven a lot and no issues thus far.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:46 PM, thisismatt said:

While there are plenty of work arounds, this bypass being one. I generally agree with Mike that it should be correct rather than bypassed. There are fuses and what not in the correct line and I generally don't like going around those. The new key seems to have done the trick. I've considered a start button instead of using the key as these cheap ass keys keep breaking. But I still think going through the stock relay is correct.

1 hour ago, Eomund said:

I generally don't like going around those

the later Nissans went to a Hotstart relay from the factory that worked off the key switch.

if you have a new switch it might work but as these vehicles get older more corrosion happens and the resistance goes up and happens again. that why Nissan added the reley triggered by a low voltage relay.

I didn't want to do this either and got a new switch. I added a Ford relay on my 521 and NEVER  installed the new switch. Now it seems my cheap ass Orileys starter is lasting longer than 2 years.  So I was getting rid of good starters. as O Rileys said they were good but I thought they were fullof shit and swapped them out anyways(lifetime wareenty)

3 hours ago, Eomund said:

Start signal is fine. I am pretty sure I found the issue. My key cylinder has been giving me some issues for a couple of months (the return spring was not working right) so I swapped it out also knowing it might be related to my problem. I've been driving a lot for the last several days with no issues. Not a guaranteed fix as intermittent is a bitch to track. But I've driven a lot and no issues thus far.

While there are plenty of work arounds, this bypass being one. I generally agree with Mike that it should be correct rather than bypassed. There are fuses and what not in the correct line and I generally don't like going around those. The new key seems to have done the trick. I've considered a start button instead of using the key as these cheap ass keys keep breaking. But I still think going through the stock relay is correct.

It's not a bypass. You still use all your stock wiring, except you trigger a relay with it instead. Relay then fires your solenoid with power directly from the battery, instead of running 10-30 amps through your ignition switch.