Electric fuel pump cut off switch when the engine turns off...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Power it from the idle cut solenoid or the distributor. These are only on when the ignition is on. Likewise the heater or wiper fuse will work but the pump would be on in the accessory position.

Don't have an idle cut solenoid that I know of. What wire to the distributor?

1972 521 trucks with an electric choke used a relay to turn on the choke heater.  the relay got a voltage from the the alternator, I think in the "N" terminal.  This system used an externally regulated alternator.

In order for the choke heater coil to get electricity, the ignition key had to be on, and the alternator had to be turning, making electricity.

I believe 510 sedans, and wagons used the same system, but in earlier years, because the cars got the electric choke before the pickups.

13 hours ago, DanielC said:

1972 521 trucks with an electric choke used a relay to turn on the choke heater.  the relay got a voltage from the the alternator, I think in the "N" terminal.  This system used an externally regulated alternator.

In order for the choke heater coil to get electricity, the ignition key had to be on, and the alternator had to be turning, making electricity.

I believe 510 sedans, and wagons used the same system, but in earlier years, because the cars got the electric choke before the pickups.

USA 510 had this '72-'73 only

49579918276_50e5913b1b_o.jpg

I know the ECU on the VG 30 would work except I can't get it to work. So it is hard wired to ignition on. Once in a while when the engine is cold the engine will turn off, die, and the fuel pump still goes. That is what I want to fix on the VG. The wires and ECU are from a 1991 Infinity M30.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Using the ground to control a relay would be good. As soon as you crank the engine the ground disappears on the sender and the pump comes on. When I crank my L20B the pressure reads 30, you only need about 8 to turn the light off. 

I like that idea. Now I need to figure how to wire that one.

Edited by WAGON JON
10 hours ago, BRG510 said:

https://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Products/Fuel_Pump.html

I have thought about trying this simple controller for my fuel pump. I like the prime feature. Works off similar concepts people were discussing here.

That actually looks like it would work.

Funny how only Ca residents are warned they will get cancer!

"California Residents - WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov" 

Edited by WAGON JON