Any idea what 5-speed I have?

Metzman510

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 63 series speedo drive will work but they are not 100% correct... 

I'm using a modified one in my stumpy, and I sent one to wayno to use in his ...

You have to add a groove 180 degrees from the original.... and I believe wayno moved his groove closer to the edge... he said the the stumpy drive was about an 1/8 longer..

• Like 1

What color does he need, a red one?

They likely only had a few different ratios in the 2wd regular cab/short box trucks that had the short shaft, certainly not 4wd ratios as the speedo was in the transfer case and why would they change that to except to except a shorty transmission speedo drive pinion.

21 tooth, purple I think.

I looked through all the 63 series 510, 610/710/B21/620/S10/A10 and closest was a 19 tooth. You need a vehicle like a truck that needs a large tooth count to compensate for a large differential ratio. I worked late last night and was tired. I'm have another look tonight.

I am doubting the short shaft ever came with that gearing/color, and your speedo is off by too much for just two gear ratios off, maybe 10mph off but not 40mph off, I would pull your instrument cluster and figure out what is messing it up, there is a magnet in there and maybe some metal shavings got on the magnet.

Edited by wayno

wayno, I couldn't agree more. The 21 tooth is to correct the odometer, up 2 teeth from the 19 tooth that is in there currently. The speedometer definitely has a date with the cleaning, inspecting, and adjusting folks, I just wanted to try and get the odometer on the correct page also. Its a 2 sided attack, one to correct the odometer, the other to calibrate the speedometer.

Even if the speedo is off, the odometer should only be off the 10 percent that the gear is off.

Not sure if speedos are adjustable, I have only messed with a GM one a long time ago, it freaked out because I got some metal shavings on the magnet, that happened because I drilled some holes for warning lights near the speedo, I cannot recall if I replaced it or cleaned it, that was a long time ago.

• Like 1

I wish I had the correct part number for the shorty pinion gear assy. The 720 only lists the entire assy., gear and sleeve together. It's hard to separate the regular 71B from the shorty. One 21 tooth was used on the S12 but I know it wasn't a shorty, only the truck got them and none of the 720s used a 21 tooth.

• 7 months later...