Fuel Gauge doesn't go past halfway mark when full

BananaXiphos

Filled my 620 up all the way full for the first time today, about 8 gallons of gas. Turned the truck on and watched the fuel gauge go up but stop at the halfway mark. I drive away, thinking maybe the second half takes longer to go up than the first half but check again later and see it's still just stuck at the halfway point between E and F. The gauge still goes down when fuel is low so it's definitely working but I don't know why it isn't registering a full tank. Any ideas? ALSO, the temp gauge doesn't work but I'm pretty sure it's because the wires were moved to the digital gauge that was installed by the previous owner if that matters.

Edited by BananaXiphos
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull the leads off the gauge and measure the resistance from the sender. Full is zero ohms, empty is 90 ohms....(I might have it backwards, but Mike will correct me if wrong).

If you are getting a full resistance and the gauge registers half, the gauge is bad or needs cleaning. if the tank is full but the resistance is not, the tank sender is an "issue".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Pull the leads off the gauge and measure the resistance from the sender. Full is zero ohms, empty is 90 ohms....(I might have it backwards, but Mike will correct me if wrong).

If you are getting a full resistance and the gauge registers half, the gauge is bad or needs cleaning. if the tank is full but the resistance is not, the tank sender is an "issue".

Thanks! I'll check this.

Possibly the gauge needle sticks and just won't go higher. You can test this by grounding the Yellow sender wire so the gauge should read FULL. If it doesn't go higher then it's the gauge.

If it does go up to FULL, probably the sender is stuck and will shake loose while driving r remove the tank and take the sender out for cleaning.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Was the sender replaced?

I know there have been issues with fuel level sending units off ebay.... 

They work but dont have enough room to travel and read the full range..... 

I wouldn’t know for sure but the previous owner did change a lot of things so that could be one of them.

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Possibly the gauge needle sticks and just won't go higher. You can test this by grounding the Yellow sender wire so the gauge should read FULL. If it doesn't go higher then it's the gauge.

If it does go up to FULL, probably the sender is stuck and will shake loose while driving r remove the tank and take the sender out for cleaning.

I’ll try this