New 72 Datsun 510 owner

Dwar0

Hey everyone, one of my really great friends helped me find this 510 as is. I been looking to see what engine swap to do and also who to do the work for me. I'm in the Los Angeles area(DTLA). I've browsed through this site enough and have enjoyed what I've seen. Look forward to showing you all what ends up in this and all I get for it over the year.

20191125-165541.jpg20191125-235118.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Dwar0 said:

Hey everyone, one of my really great friends helped me find this 510 as is. I been looking to see what engine swap to do and also who to do the work for me. I'm in the Los Angeles area(DTLA). I've browsed through this site enough and have enjoyed what I've seen. Look forward to showing you all what ends up in this and all I get for it over the year.

20191125-165541.jpg20191125-235118.jpg

Very nice and clean 510, enjoy her.

that's a clean 510.

why do a engine swap why not just enjoy it.  drive it around maybe on weekends and park it in the garage.  Who to do the work for me is not a good start cause it will cost you and the reputation of the guy doing it.   I say don't do it.  not many 510 in the condition you have this in.

I would get some wheels that fir under the fender better and maybe lower it down some more. Those are nice wheels but maybe for a 240SX.

• Like 2

Sorry. I should've mentioned the engine needed work. I had it taken to a shop to remove and possibly rebuild it but they said if it were them they'd go with better L-series. As for the wheels I was definitely going to make changes for that very reason once I get closer to it being up and running. Money isn't an issue. I'm looking for the most reliable option as far as who. I may have already taken a wrong turn by having it inspected to begin with but here I am... thanks!

5 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

that's a clean 510.

I would get some wheels that fir under the fender better and maybe lower it down some more. Those are nice wheels but maybe for a 240SX.

5 hours ago, john510 said:

Clean looking car.Lose those rims,keep the engine.

Those rims and tires just look wrong. The 510 uses 5.60 X 13s that are 23.25" tall.  You can get away with 14" and maybe 15" rims and tires that combine to make the same height so they look right and the speedometer and performance remains unaffected. You can go 6-7" wide if you like. That rim is too wide making the tire stretch to fit and the off set is wrong. The body will come down on the rears on speed bumps. Fronts too on turn ins to gas stations.

An L20B would be an easy swap as outwardly it's only 3/4" taller than the stock engine and you can't tell with a quick look. It's pretty much as drop in as it gets. Just about the same cost to rebuild it as an L16 and you get about 20 more HP.

Did I mention it's looks great?

• Like 1

Thanks

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Those rims and tires just look wrong. The 510 uses 5.60 X 13s that are 23.25" tall.  You can get away with 14" and maybe 15" rims and tires that combine to make the same height so they look right and the speedometer and performance remains unaffected. You can go 6-7" wide if you like. That rim is too wide making the tire stretch to fit and the off set is wrong. The body will come down on the rears on speed bumps. Fronts too on turn ins to gas stations.

An L20B would be an easy swap as outwardly it's only 3/4" taller than the stock engine and you can't tell with a quick look. It's pretty much as drop in as it gets. Just about the same cost to rebuild it as an L16 and you get about 20 more HP.

Did I mention it's looks great?

Yeah the rims/tires are definitely going to change. I'll start looking into the L20B. Probably will feel nice to save some money that route. Not gonna lie I was considering researching the KA build just cause my buddy who helped me get this has a 620 with one. 

Thank you! Lucky the interior is all in great condition as well. 

39 minutes ago, Draker said:

Looks like a nice car. L20 will be cheapest. KA is popular but will be a lot more work. 

Yeah I kind of got an idea of the price for a KA build from my buddy and going the L20 route is starting to feel like the better option. I will look into left coast. Thanks!

• Like 1

What’s wrong with the motor in there now? Maybe it’s nothing major. A lot of newer shops can’t even work on a simple motor.

that car is so clean I would run stock wheels with a small white wall tire and stock 1969 hubcaps.I think that would be gangster.believe me a lot of people will like that as you don’t see it anymore.Believe me you’ll still get a lot of thumbs up with that look.

• Like 1

Go to a dentist and he'll tell you he has to put in all new dentures, go to a liar and he'll tell you who he should sue for you, go to a roofer and he'll tell you you need a new roof, go to a psychic and she'll tell your she can talk to your mom, ask a plumber what's wrong and he'll say you need all new pipes, ask a mechanic what he thinks, and he'll think $$$$, but say motor needs re-buildin'. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very late but after a few more weeks of being patient and searching around I came across a rebuilt ka24de and I purchased it. Will be working with Chuck(who inspected the engine) at Left coast datsun to get it up and running. A lot of it factored into my budget as I was adding everything I wanted for an L20B setup. Something I will hope I can come back to on another chassis down the road. Would love to put something like that together myself when I have a home in the near future. Either way I'll post a pic or two when the 510 is back at home in a couple more weeks. Thanks for the advice! Appreciate you all!