1977 620 KC - Father Son Project

slepe67

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pull engine and trans as one unit and install them as one unit.  With the removable trans cross member I think it is much easier than trying to get the trans perfectly lined up with the engine swinging on an engine hoist.  To moving objects is more than I can to deal with.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

Im going to try to install as-is one more time, if it doesnt work I'll put the truck on stands and yank the trans and install as one unit. 

Still have to sand & repaint engine bay, fender wells, clean and repaint engine.

Im on the fence about installing all new gaskets & seals.  Probably should.

Today, engine bay washed and scrubbed 3 times.  its not perfect, but PO did a bad job, Im just cleaning it up a bit. 

Oh, and I re-bent the janky clutch M/C line.   Looks a touch better. 

Scuffing & paint tomorrow. 

FFTTWVQ.jpg

Drivers side...Will paint wheelwells tomorrow. 

jRek16O.jpg

Passenger side

4R6M5fE.jpg

Bad omen of the ride quality & electrical system? Found these leaf spring bushings and a BUNCH of fuses in the glove box.  LOL

pS80qJi.jpg

• Like 1

Sanding complete, got some primer laid down.  my son did most of the work.  

The folks on the 620 FB Page were all up in arms because I used rattle can....

Bare with me please...it's a $900 truck at best.  The intent of this project is to teach my son "How to do stuff" correctly.  I am redoing the engine bay because Ive found almost every nut, bolt and clamp to be wrong, improperly installed, hacked, or loose.

When we get a used dirt bike, we tear it down and check EVERYTHING, especially if HE is riding it.  

I need him to know what CORRECT looks like.

I've explained to him that spray paint isnt the best option, but it will make the truck look much better, it's cheap, and we will inspect and possibly replace each nut, bolt, screw and clamp in that bay. Safety First.  

Enough ranting...here's some pics...

He wasnt too thrilled with all the sanding, wiping, sanding, wiping...until he laid down some primer.  "WOAH!  THAT'S SICK!"😂

I6tZjfO.jpg

My Compressor is down for the time being & garage isnt heated. Montana is still getting below freezing at night, so rattle can it is.   We're just using rustoleum for now.  When we swap in a KA/SR/LS, we'll take the cab and box off to get media blasted.  THIS ISN'T PERMANENT....

NHpuxdw.jpg

9SE2RIi.jpg

Too close buddy!  😂

wCZKHbc.jpg

Should be able to undercoat outer fenderwells and do some painting tomorrow. 

Until then...

wwLetkG.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Z23T said:

Your a good dad for getting your son involved in project like this. He'll learn so much and have these memories of time spent with you forever. 

Thanks, that means a lot!   

Among the many things Im trying to teach:

1.  Do it right the first time (Ok. So spray can paint isn't "right", but he knows specialized paint is correct)😁

2.  Know what "wrong" looks like (There's a LOT of "wrong" on this truck)

3.  Attention to detail. (A lot of that will br given while re-assembling & cleaning)

4.  Hard work = great results

5.  Take care of your vehicle & it'll take care of you

• Like 1

There's a LOT to be said for doing the "wrong" thing (rattle can) the right way (proper prep etc.)  It can still last years and the skills are basically the same for doing it "right".

Yes, That's what Im hoping he'll remember.  i recently obtained a 67 Galaxie a P.O. did a number on.  i think they painted some, ran out of that color, grabbed a can, ran out of that and grabbed another. 

bnd4L20.jpg

I literally saved it from the crusher.  A friend worked there and couldnt bare to see it crushed, so he called me.  Im a sucker for cheap cars!

They cut the dash to put a stereo, as well as ALL the ignition switch wiring. 

My son wants it too...LOL

TCABvG1.jpg

Edited by slepe67
typos

As far as the 620 goes, Im not messing with the control arms, I'll probably just clean them.   I have to cover them soon, my OCD screams every time I looks at them. 🙄

If/when we do a KA/SR swap, we'll pull the cab/bed and do the entire frame. 

I plan on going Beebani discs & coilovers down the road, after my son is a bit older.  Not a fan of 4 wheel drums.

Main intent at this point is to get the Big Kinks worked out and get a good look at everything to ensure safety.  This truck went through a few owners and there's a lot of jankiness.  We'll do a lot of work while not hving to take the truck down for too long. 

Until then, engine bay paint tomorrow!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...