Automatic transmission speedometer

85"720

I have a 1985 and my speedometer is all out of wack. GPS says I'm going 65mph while my dash says 90mph ?? At any speed it's incorrect. For the most part it's like 15mph off then it starts to get worse the faster you go.. How would I  go about  fixing this?

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the needle return to 0 mph at a stop?  I replced a needle on the speedo in my king cab a while back and I did not relize until I had the cluster back in the dash that I put the needle on registering 10 mph at a stop.  So my speedometer reads a steady 10 mph faster than I am actually going at any speed.

Next time I pull out the dash I will fix it.

2 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Does the needle return to 0 mph at a stop?  I replced a needle on the speedo in my king cab a while back and I did not relize until I had the cluster back in the dash that I put the needle on registering 10 mph at a stop.  So my speedometer reads a steady 10 mph faster than I am actually going at any speed.

Next time I pull out the dash I will fix 

Yes it does. I'm wanting to  keep my cluster because of the odometer.  Mine only has 140k miles on it. Would  changing out my cable help out?

• Like 1

The cable is mechanically turned by the transmission. There's no way it can accidentally be turned faster than it should.

Has the speedometer always been like this or did it just start acting up? 

The needle is on a spring that pulls it gently back to 0. The cable spins a magnet inside an aluminum cup that has the needle attached to. The spinning magnet induces an electrical current and it's own magnetic field within the aluminum and although they don't touch, the magnet pulls the cup around with it though at a reduced speed. If the magnet should rub against the aluminum it would mechanically pull the needle higher than it should. 

Take the gauge cluster out and apart. Try cleaning any obvious dust out. It's possible that the magnet and cup are sealed for the very reason of keeping dust out. You may be able to replace just the cup and magnet and keep the odometer.

I've had a 620 truck speedometer apart but not the 720. I was trying to make it read higher by moving the magnet closer to the cup and spinning it with a drill.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The cable is mechanically turned by the transmission. There's no way it can accidentally be turned faster than it should.

Has the speedometer always been like this or did it just start acting up? 

The needle is on a spring that pulls it gently back to 0. The cable spins a magnet inside an aluminum cup that has the needle attached to. The spinning magnet induces an electrical current and it's own magnetic field within the aluminum and although they don't touch, the magnet pulls the cup around with it though at a reduced speed. If the magnet should rub against the aluminum it would mechanically pull the needle higher than it should. 

Take the gauge cluster out and apart. Try cleaning any obvious dust out. It's possible that the magnet and cup are sealed for the very reason of keeping dust out. You may be able to replace just the cup and magnet and keep the odometer.

I've had a 620 truck speedometer apart but not the 720. I was trying to make it read higher by moving the magnet closer to the cup and spinning it with a drill.

No it just got worse lately. It used to be  5 mph off throughout the whole gauge.  I tried changing the  cable but it wasn't  the correct  one.  Is there a difference  between the automatic and the standard transmission speedometer cables??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wayno said:

Can you take a photo of the back of your gauge cluster showing the speedo drive connection?

Is this what your gauge looks like, message me of your interested on this cluster.

005.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

Yes Mine looks exactly like that. The speedo connection  I cant recall  how it looks but i thought  maybe they gave me a 86 speedo cable or one from a Manual transmission if it was different.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wayno said:

In the early 80s there were two different kinds of speedo cable connections to the instrument cluster speedo drive, clip and twist type.

012.jpg

I think mine is the twist type. I'm not 100% sure. Dont have  the truck at the moment to check it out.  

• Like 1

The speedo in my 85 would occasionally exhibit similar symptoms - would read correctly at lower speeds but fluctuate 10-15 mph higher at cruising speed. Changed the cable and the issue stopped. To Mike's point, I'm not sure why this was happening as the cable simply rotates based on trans output, but new cables are under $10 on Rockauto so worth ruling that out before hunting for a new gauge.

• Like 1

A jumping speedometer is easily explained. The cable is really a long tightly wound coil of wire. It can rub the outer sheath and snag momentarily. The cable will continue to turn storing up torsional energy. When it releases the cable has to speed up the slower section ahead of it and the needle jumps. Lubricating it can help but for $10 it's easy to replace.

• Like 1
On 2/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, canon3383 said:

Mine is 20 mph off at any speed, I might when it gets warmer remove the clear cover and take the needle and put it in the right position, but I know how to read it and confirmed the inaccuracy with my GPS. 

I thouggt the  same thing. I tried doing  that  and it made it worse. 😓 

• Like 1