Stumped any toyota 3000 4cam vvti experts out there?

Looks like I am the only one on the internet with this issue so I am asking ratsun after no response on the toyota forums. The facts! Put new waterpump on 2003 by toyota highlander  Aisin waterpump timing belt kit. New Aisin waterpump, idler pulley and tensioner pulley. Mitsubishi belt. All quality. Reused original tensioner. Bitch to compress and gets belt bar tight so I assume good. Problem 90k mile belt lasted 90 seconds after start up. Lots of smoke and belt was destroyed. Replaced with old belt sans belt cover to figure out wtf happened. New waterpump wants to walk belt off pulley into waterpump body. A friend suggested notching a rib in the waterpump webbing thinking the belt wouldn't go further. Did that and I think if the waterpump body wouldn't stop it this beltZwFpF0X.jpg would want to walk right off the pulley. Watched plenty of videos and went step by step but no one else seems to have this issue. I am stumped!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure.

Never had this issue. 

I prefer to replace tensioner on major services...especially for Vegas trips.

2 of 5 hydraulic tensioner jap t-belt sets  I've done had failed puking tensioners (with springs inside still)

Did you get the belt guide washer thingy pointed the correct direction behind the crank/harmonic balancer/timing cover off the crank gear ?

Absolutely sure everything is lined up 100% ?

Did you take off cam sprockets at all , and orientated correctly ? (Orientation of lip guides)

Hopefully you were sent the correct parts 

Edited by I'm BLUE

Thanks for the response. I have done everything correctly and the car fires right up and runs smoothly. The tensioner is the only reused part besides crank shaft and cam pulleys. I don't understand how the tensioner would affect this being on the opposite side of the crankshaft. I will replace it because they are easy to swap. The rest of this project kind of sucked!

7 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Thanks for the response. I have done everything correctly and the car fires right up and runs smoothly. The tensioner is the only reused part besides crank shaft and cam pulleys. I don't understand how the tensioner would affect this being on the opposite side of the crankshaft. I will replace it because they are easy to swap. The rest of this project kind of sucked!

I was suggesting that I replace the tensioner each time I do a major t-belt service  as personal preference. Never said it was your issue here.

3 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

I am an idiot. Toyota forum said the cam pulleys need to be opposite each othe. Flange side in on one side and out on the other. I pulled the front one and when replacing it I matched the rear. Off to the shop. I am pissed and happy at the same time. Hope it works.

Good , which is why I suggested that above on my response ^^^^ on the sprocket position/orientation. Hey at least you found your problem. ...It'll work , that's how a lot of timing belts are orientated. Its the way my Acura is to. Good luck....