fuel line size ?

oukippy

Hello,

I have a fuel leak issue. It seems to be between fuel pump and carburator.

1581067372-hose.jpg

I want to replace the falty fuel line but I'm wondering what is the correct size for it ? I was told that it's 5/16 inner diameter (8 mm in metric system, I believe). Do you confirm ?

Thank you very much !

ouki

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only need 6".

I measured mine and... 6.6mm with a bead on the end of 7.25mm. 1/4" is 6.35mm. It should easily stretch 1mm to push over the bead. I've had carbs off and forgot to tighten the hose clamp when put back on. Drove for months and no problem. Saw it one day and put the clamp back on.

That is what I use on mine, every auto supply store has it.

Additionally, buy enough to replace all the fuel line (don't worry, it's cheap), because it's probably all the same age, and just as rotten. fresh stainless steel hose clamps probably wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by G-Duax
more info

But you don't need 20' of it. Another good source is the wrecking yard. Go look at some Jap cars and get what you need. Usually in good shape and could be just a few years old which is better than 40+. Also pressure rated for EFI pumps. I ask how much? and they usually just roll their eyes.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:58 AM, datzenmike said:

Only need 6".

I measured mine and... 6.6mm with a bead on the end of 7.25mm. 1/4" is 6.35mm. It should easily stretch 1mm to push over the bead. I've had carbs off and forgot to tighten the hose clamp when put back on. Drove for months and no problem. Saw it one day and put the clamp back on.

I assume that 6.6 mm is the outer diameter ?

Be careful of quality. Many of the choices you find online may not be the best rubber available. Rubber breaks down with exposure to gasoline, and there are good, better and best grades available. Ask your parts store guy for the best grade, but make sure it's not high pressure EFI hose. That EFI hose is very rigid and hard to work with.

Just now, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Be careful of quality. Many of the choices you find online may not be the best rubber available. Rubber breaks down with exposure to gasoline, and there are good, better and best grades available. Ask your parts store guy for the best grade, but make sure it's not high pressure EFI hose. That EFI hose is very rigid and hard to work with.

Last week I went to a local shop. I didn't find what I was interested in, asked the vendor who told me: "I don't have this in the store, go to the website, give me the reference you want and I will order it for you."

I finally ordered it by myself in order not to drive 50 km a second time.

• Like 1